Dog etiquette?

Quote:
ooh you read it alright..
a dog that LUNGED to bite a kid is not safe..period.
UNLESS you can 100% guarantee that dog to NEVER be around children again....
Its not a risk i would take.... maybe you will..but not me.. its MY choice.. not yours.
smile.png

I'd never sleep at night again if my dog bit somebody after such a HUGE warning like that.... Because it WAS a HUGE warning...

We can agree to disagree, but I think that is absolutely ridiculous. Put down a dog who has only once incident that any of us know of improper behavior?!. He did not even injure the child! Proper training works for wonderful dogs all over the place who hadn't been properly trained before. So many wonderful family pets would be dead if we all thought that way.

and many people would need stitches if we just let our dogs attack people
roll.png
... because thats what he did... he attacked that kid. Broken skin or not... that dog went after a child. PERIOD. Yes, we will have to agree to disagree... its cool.

Last edited:
Quote:
ooh you read it alright..
a dog that LUNGED to bite a kid is not safe..period.
UNLESS you can 100% guarantee that dog to NEVER be around children again....
Its not a risk i would take.... maybe you will..but not me.. its MY choice.. not yours.
smile.png

I'd never sleep at night again if my dog bit somebody after such a HUGE warning like that.... Because it WAS a HUGE warning...

We can agree to disagree, but I think that is absolutely ridiculous. Put down a dog who has only once incident that any of us know of improper behavior?!. He did not even injure the child! Proper training works for wonderful dogs all over the place who hadn't been properly trained before. So many wonderful family pets would be dead if we all thought that way.

The main thing that matters is whether or not the dog's owner is actually going to TRAIN THE DOG, and CONTROL THE DOG (which she obviously wasn't this time.....) or if the dog is just going to be allowed to get "worse and worse" because he tried it once (a nip) and nothing bad happened, so next time he'll go further.......

Putting the dog down would be preferable to having it chew some kid's face off, but the true fault lies with the OWNER!!!!!

A nip is one thing but a "BITE" OR "LUNGE" is another....
In the "dog world" a "nip" is a warning that a pup or child has gone too far...(ear, tail, pulling, eye gouging, etc and the kid deserves it...)
A bite is a sign of agresion.

If it was MY kid or myself that got "bit" (I do not have any kids by the way...) I would have gutted the animal in front of the owner......
But then I'm a "harsh" individual that believes any animal in public should be in 100% control of the owner. (PERIOD)

I don't take my silkies to the park because I can't 100% be sure they won't peck some kid that tried to pet her.

My kid wasn't that upset about it, he was even a bit hesitant to tell me because he said that he "didn't want to get the dog in trouble". But I told him he did the right thing, and that we had to inform the dog's owner so she can take better preventative measures so no one else got hurt any worse. I wasn't angry when I spoke with the dog's owner, and I accepted her apology, I didn't need anything more. But I thought she should have taken some different action afterwards for the sake of the other kids & for the sake of her dog. Not have it put down, but perhaps taken it home, or at least moved farther away from all the kids she said were making the dog so nervous.

Quote:
right.. she had a warning by what had happend..
and i just BET that she did nothing.... just waiting for the next kid to walk by...
hmm.png

It just frustrates me... sorry.
hide.gif
I take something like this very very serious...

She should have sought you out and let you know what happened rather than your child having to come tell you. If she didn't even notice the incident, that is even worse. I would have suggested to her that perhaps if the children were making the dog nervous, that she should move away from where they were congregating or even leave the park altogether for that day.

Put down the stupid human not the dog. The dog didn't load itself up and take itself to a gathering it didn't want to be at. The human was the guilty party and I'm sick and tired of animals being murdered because they belong to stupid people.

Quote:
Well..i have to agree with you there..it is usually the humans fault...
But it dosent change the fact that the dog is dangerous.. sorry, kate.
sad.png

Also... SOME dogs do get agressive because of genetics... I could go into a long story..but i wont...
but yes, it usually it IS the humans fault... or a combanation of BOTH..genetics and human fault...
and dont get me wrong... if you knew me.. you would know that i LOVE my dogs.... but if i could not 100% guarantee that my agressive dog could not EVER get to a child again.. then i would put the dog down...
sad.png
and trust me... just trust me... it WOULD kill me to do. But i WOULD do the right thing for peoples safety...
Any dog that runs after a human to attack and puts his teeth on them..is a very high risk dog.. in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you, exactly! This type of incident to me is not justification to what could be a great dog to be put down! The OP did the right thing by talking to the dog owner and all we can hope is that the owner would do the right thing and teach the dog differently. If the dog owner stuck around anyway, that was wrong. I am not in any way condoning the owner allowing what transpired. But for God's sake, you don't put a dog down because his owner puts him into an atmosphere that makes him nervous.

Quote:
Thank you, exactly! This type of incident to me is not justification to what could be a great dog to be put down! The OP did the right thing by talking to the dog owner and all we can hope is that the owner would do the right thing and teach the dog differently. If the dog owner stuck around anyway, that was wrong. I am not in any way condoning the owner allowing what transpired. But for God's sake, you don't put a dog down because his owner puts him into an atmosphere that makes him nervous.

Nervous dogs are the #1 biters...
If the owner can GUARANTEE that her dog wont get to a child again.. then i agree.. it should not have to be put down....
I doubt she can guarantee that though....
I dont think she removed the dog from the park after this happend?? did she?? Not sure though...
If she didnt even remove the dog after this happend.. then i dont have much faith in her..sorry,...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom