Dog Forgetting Potty Training

She would love to be the dominant one in the household. Since she is little and cute visitors to the house often give in to her. I have to remember to make limits as sometimes it would be easier to give in to her persistence.

I don't really have anything helpful to add, except to thank you for trying to keep up on her manners! I have a very large dog and when she was younger, she would go berserker mode when we walked by other dogs. I had to work so hard to get her trained up just so I could control her on the leash. It pisses me off to no end when we go walking, and I am working my butt off to keep her under control (she is not aggressive but over excited and it looks pretty scary) and these people with small dogs walk by with the dogs at the end of their leash trying to get over to us. It seems to me that many people forget that just because their dog is small, that doesn't mean they don't need to be trained like a dog.

That was NOT supposed to be a crazy lady rant - just to say I commend you for working on your training!

When we got Teyla she was peeing all over the place. If she peed on the floor, she got scolded and put into her crate, which are VERY helpful for potty training. If she went outside, she got treats and lots of pets. We trained her to ring bells we hung on the doorknobs so we could know when she wanted to go outside.

Tee is starting to use her box again. Not every time, but more than half the time. She's getting treats to reinforce using her box. Still not sure what happened to start all this. I really believe she was scared of the box after having used it for 6 months.

@SunriseChickers The other dog that was in dog obedience school with Tee was learning to use a bell. If I were having her go outside I would use one. It seems to work great. Once we have this issue all fixed I may move the box to the screened in porch. Then a bell would come in handy.

Tee is starting to use her box again. Not every time, but more than half the time. She's getting treats to reinforce using her box. Still not sure what happened to start all this. I really believe she was scared of the box after having used it for 6 months.

@SunriseChickers The other dog that was in dog obedience school with Tee was learning to use a bell. If I were having her go outside I would use one. It seems to work great. Once we have this issue all fixed I may move the box to the screened in porch. Then a bell would come in handy.
Be careful with a bell. Our dog can open the doors from the outside and close them from inside. I don't think she would have figured out the opening if it weren't for those bells. :p

No worries about that for me right now. Door has no handle. The original handle was nearly 100 years old. It broke and a regular type handle will not fit it. Waiting to replace handle because I would really love to replace the old leaky door first.

No worries about that for me right now. Door has no handle. The original handle was nearly 100 years old. It broke and a regular type handle will not fit it. Waiting to replace handle because I would really love to replace the old leaky door first.

Ah.

Back
Top Bottom