Dog got in pen.... HELP PLEASE!!!!! PICS

So sorry to hear about your daughter's baby. We had a dog attack and lost a few and bad injuries on one. (broken leg, puntcure wounds, feathers ripped out, etc.) Just wanted to let you know, as long as you are patient she can survive. We now have a one legged hen named Fancy out of our dog attack. Just keep her indoors, in a quiet comfy room. Give her antibiotics, even though there are no puntcure wounds. I'm like you, we don NOT medicate normally, but with Fancy we did. Give her electrolytes in water and the aspirin as noted earlier for pain. As for her feathers, they will more than likely grow back when she molts. If she doesn't molt before winter, than you may consider having an indoor chicken pet. NexCare makes a wonderful spray on liquid bandage for her wounds. We were told by vet that it is safe for animals. We used it on Fancy's leg after she lost it at the break. It's alot easier to keep on than a bandage. I will PM you a link for the wing injury. Good luck, and if you are wanting to help her survive, just give her lots of TLC. We should have put Fancy down, but like you my kids were devestated and we chose to help her live. Now she is back outside and other than missing a leg, she is a strong and healthy girl. Just saying this to let you know that even a chicken can adapt to anything if given proper tratment and love.

what kind of electrolytes did you give her and how? I have some pedialyte for kids, would she drink that? should I give her some through a syrenge or will she drink enough on her own?

thanks so much hwerner!

alright so where can I find this NexCare? Would TSC have it? What else should I pick up while I am there?

If I choose to give her antibiotics, what is the best kind? and how do I give it?

My daughter and I appriciate everyone's advice, oppinions, and help- VERY much!!

I use Vi-Tal for electolytes. 1/4 tsp per one gallon of water. You can get Vi-Tal at local farm supply store. It's about 5 dollars and lasts forever. If not available pedialyte is ok to give just put in her water if she doesn't drink it on her own.

You should be able to find the NexCare spray on bandage at WalMart or any drugstore in the aisle with the first aid supplies. NexCare is a brand name; they make adhesive bandages, spray on wound sealer, and several other items so read the labels. Hope you have good success with your sweetie chickie.

Quote:
NexCAre can be purchased just about any store, walmart walgreens etc. I use Terrmycin also at local farm store. mix it according to directions with feed or special treat that your girl loves to eat

Quote:
You should be able to find the nexcare at a CVS or walmart. Its just a brand name like bandaid, ect. Tractor Supply has the electrolytes for poultry and they have the terramycin for poultry also. I would think that the terramycin should be good enough, after all you said there were no puncture wounds and you would be using it just as a precaution.

Quote:
NexCAre can be purchased just about any store, walmart walgreens etc. I use Terrmycin also at local farm store. mix it according to directions with feed or special treat that your girl loves to eat

I meant to post this as well, with Fancy we were advised to give her a specail booster diet consists of boiled egg yolk, rolled oats, plain non flavored yogurt, honey, applesauce, calcium powder if not giving vitamin supplement in water.

feed 3 times day,

mix together, the yolk, 1 tsp honey, 2 tblsp yogurt, 2 tablsp oats, 2 tablesp applesauce or grated apple. 1/4 tsp calcium pwder if no vit. are in her water.

This is what I mixed her antibiotic in.

Your bird should be fine as long as there aren't internal injurys, I have a friend that had a hen that a dog tore the wing off and that lil hen is alive and laying and doing great now. It is amazing how strong these lil birds really are. Keep it clean use antibotic ointment . I personally wouldnt give oral antibotics but thats me
smile.png
good luck
Allie

Back
Top Bottom