Dog got off chain...killed one injured another

texascorgi

Songster
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
White Deer, Tx
Our dog got off his chain. I just got home and found one chicken dead and another injured. I found one puncture wound. What do I do? It seems really tramatized. I put food and water right by it after I moved it into the garage. PLEASE HELP!!!!

This dog will have to find a new home. This is the second one he has killed and the 4th chicken total he has tried to get.

You can try and flush the puncture wound out with peroxide or an iodine solution. Other wise just keep an eye on it. What kind of dog was it?

Arklady

Retriever Mix.

The poor chicken is just laying there shaking. I moved him into the bathroom to keep the flys off of him. I looked closer and he has several puncture wounds. There are also no feathers on his back. I will try and take a picture to post.

I'm so sorry. I had a cat kill a chick once and it is a terrible feeling.
dlhunicorn has links to just about anything chicken related you could imagine. I'm sure there is something on there about general first aid. Otherwise, all I can recommend is a quiet, low-lit area. He's certainly in shock, at the very least.
Good luck.

Don't apologize - I've been in that panic mode many times myself. If only we could beam ourselves to the operating room of the world's greatest poultry surgeon during times like these...
I wish I could be more help but all I can offer is my crossed fingers and good wishes.

Our Young Male Chesapeake (bird hunting dog) came home and before I could say "The Chickens are out" to my husband, he let the dog out of his crate from the back of the truck and it got one of the hens, but she survived.
She had no feathers on her back and from me tearing her away from the dog she had a gash on her back. (If I had to do it again I would have asked the dog to drop the bird and see if he would listen.)

I separated her and used Saline solution to wash out her wound, and betadine swabs. I sewed the wound shut and put antibiotic ointment on it and a big pad of gauze over it, the pads were called surgical pads, they were very thick and absorbant. I then duct taped over that and formed a "saddle" so she couldn't pick it off. I also put a strip of duct tape under her wings and across her chest to hold it on. I changed this dressing every day and eventually removed the stitches. I did also give her some antibiotic in her water, the yellow stuff, I can't remember the name. She healed but her feathers didn't grow back for quite some time and I realized my other hen was picking the new emerging feathers, so I sewed a fabric quilted saddle with elastic criss cross straps and put that on her for over a month and her feathers grew back and now a couple of years later, you wouldn't know she was injured, but she is rather skittish, rightly so!

If you have questions about treating a dog bite, I have been there done that, and can answer questions if you have any. I am so happy she is OK now, I felt awful that she got hurt. Hope your hen makes it.

Addition: I wouldn't blame the dog though for anything, that is a dog's job to hunt birds. We keep the dog and the chickens separated.

Funny Story: The hens love to scratch just outside the dog kennel, they are not the least bit afraid of the dog when he is penned up, it is almost like they tease him.

Last Summer our other Female Chessie (who since now has died from old age) kept barking one night, and we went out to the kennel to see what was going on, and come to find out the chickens had flown into her dog kennel and were spending the night in her dog house! They always want to roost on top of the dog kennel fence on warm nights, and I sometimes have to take them off the kennel and place them into their tractor in the evening. (Although perched on a dog kennel, is a pretty safe place!)

They seem to know Buddy, our young Male Chessie, would get them right now if they flew into his kennel. It may just depend on the dog, Maggie was older and wiser, she would definately chase the birds outside of her kennel, but if they flew into her kennel it must not have been any challange for her so she just barked for us to get those darned birds out of her dog house. They started doing this on several occasions, but she passed on last winter, and this summer the hens stopped going into her doghouse, it is warm now and they have been found on the kennel, but never in her doghouse, they must know she isn't with us anymore?

Last edited:
I hope she makes it as well.

Our chickens are allowed to free range. Both chickens and dogs share the same area so the dogs are chained while nobody is home. This is not the first time this dog has gone after the chickens. This is the second one he has killed.

I am not putting the blame totally on the dog cause I know that I am at fault as well. I doubt we give up the dog but this is also the same dog we suspect in attacking and almost killing our small corgi so it is beginning to look like he just likes to try and kill things whether they are chickens or dogs

On a good note the bird has quit shaking but still will not eat or drink. Should I just wait until tomorrow to see if I can get him to drink?

Quote:
Thank you so much. I put some antibiotic spray that I had for the dogs on it and have him in a bucket in the bathtub. He/she will not drink or eat but has at least stopped shaking.

Back
Top Bottom