Dog has jumped my fence and killed chickens on 2 occasions

I am a vegetarian in Montana! I am going to talk to animal control again tomorrow. Our fence is 5 feet high and the dog got over somehow?? It is crazy to me. Thanks for the info on the amount of money each hen is worth. Such a bummer because both chickens that got attacked are buffs and they were the best eggs. Wish me luck when chatting with animal control!

I am in the wild west for sure!

Good Luck and sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
welcome-byc.gif

fence is 5 feet high and the dog got over somehow??

Are you sure it didn't go under?

Either way, you need to work on the fence to make it more secure.
Even if this dog is removed, unless you change the fence, it can still happen again​

When my neighbors husky attacked my dog they paid the bill,and I made a promise I would kill that dog if it ever came back into my yard. It has never come back since the attack almost 2 years ago,but my promise will not be broken if it does.

In your case I would do the same.You don't tell the neighbor or threaten to kill the dog-you just do it.In the least I would expect and demand AC to fine the dog owner for allowing a dog to run free and kill.It could have attacked you,your dog,or your kids.

I have a 6 foot chainlink.One day the gate was open and a dog wandered in.I closed the gate and I called AC to get it.Before I could get the dog leashed it CLIMBED OVER MY FENCE!!!!

Best wishes to the OP and I am so dorry your kids had to see it.Atleast they were not the ones attacked.Your neighbor should have done better after the first kill. Atleast they paid the bill,but now they need to do something or get rid of the dog.

Hopefully AC won't tell YOU to get rid of the chickens.My mom called AC once complaining about coons tearing up her garden,and they told her to get rid of her garden!

So sorry about your chickens!
sad.png

Quote:
Here's a sad one. I looked into it extensively... where I'm at, it's illegal to harm or kill a dog, on my own property, even if caught in the act of destroying livestock or property. I'm not even permitted to discharge a firearm in its direction with intent to scare (not kill). I was actually looking into non-lethal rounds in case this was a problem, and even those are illegal re: dogs. The only time I may take action is if it's threatening a human. It makes me furious. The last thing I want to do is harm someone's pet, honestly, but if it's in the act of killing my chickens or other animals...??

Luckily Vermont doesn't have a bunch of city folks making our laws. From http://www.leg.state.vt.us/statutes/fullsection.cfm?Title=20&Chapter=193&Section=03545

"(b)
A domestic pet or wolf-hybrid found wounding, killing or worrying another domestic pet or wolf-hybrid, a domestic animal or fowl may be killed when the attendant circumstances are such that the killing is reasonably necessary to prevent injury to the animal or fowl which is the subject of the attack. (Amended 1977, No. 215 (Adj. Sess.), § 1, eff. April 12, 1978; 1979, No. 92 (Adj. Sess.), § 1, eff. Feb. 28, 1980; 1993, No. 213 (Adj. Sess.), § 3, eff. June 15, 1994.)

It would of course be a last option if the dog couldn't be scared off or kept coming back. Or GSD keeps the neighborhood dogs away anyways.

Last edited:
Quote:
You may have the luxury of no neighbors close enough to see you if you commit an illegal act (especially if it's against their dogs), or perhaps your neighbors would look the other way. Such is not the case everywhere. I am strongly for protecting my birds but I also don't want to break the law. It's my opinion that it's ridiculous that it is the way it is, here.

Quote:
Here's a sad one. I looked into it extensively... where I'm at, it's illegal to harm or kill a dog, on my own property, even if caught in the act of destroying livestock or property. I'm not even permitted to discharge a firearm in its direction with intent to scare (not kill). I was actually looking into non-lethal rounds in case this was a problem, and even those are illegal re: dogs. The only time I may take action is if it's threatening a human. It makes me furious. The last thing I want to do is harm someone's pet, honestly, but if it's in the act of killing my chickens or other animals...??

Not true if you live in NY state.
§ 123-a. Exemption from civil liability. 1. If any dog shall, without
justification, attack a person, or behaves in a manner which a
reasonable person would believe poses a serious and unjustified imminent
threat of serious physical injury to a person, when such person is
peaceably conducting himself in a place where he may lawfully be, such
person or any other person witnessing the attack or threatened attack
may destroy such dog while so attacking, and no liability in damages or
otherwise shall be incurred on account of such destruction.
2. If any dog shall, without justification, attack a companion animal,
farm animal or domestic animal, or shall behave in a manner which a
reasonable person would believe poses a serious and unjustified imminent
threat of serious physical injury or death to a companion animal, farm
animal or domestic animal, where such animal is in any place where it
may lawfully be, the owner or caretaker of such animal, or any other
person witnessing the attack, may destroy such dog, and no liability in
damages or otherwise shall be incurred on account of such destruction.

That said, tehre are places where discharging a firearm is illegal--usually within city limits, within a specified distance of an occupied building, etc.​

Last edited:
Unfortunately, while I am not in city limits, the township I am in has laws against discharging a firearm at a dog unless it's posing threat to a human. I've even talked to our county sheriff and other law officials. The dog owners could press charges against me even if I have proof of livestock destruction.
Edited to say: There is always the possibility that the law enforcement individuals I spoke with are mistaken. I will continue my research, and I thank you for helping me to explore all options!
hugs.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom