Dog / Human Conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
I'm still trying to do the right thing. This must be resolved in some fashion because I'm already looking hard to goats just to test fencing and my management ability. A jenny will be coming to. My dogs will be taught how to work around here, but neighbors being stupid will get into it with her.
Good luck with the Jenny. My first attempt at pasture guardians for my goats, were 3 intact male llamas. No females for miles and got lucky the llamas were so territorial in a group but only good for single predators they could attack as a group. They would of been ripped up by a pack of predators if they would have had to fight as individuals. 3 guardian dogs and the solid 6ft fencing I consider the bare minimum. Interesting it's the wildlife that respects security measures and moves around us to easier farms. Humans , dogs and loose house cats are our biggest problems. Hang in there

Last edited:
The goats, sheep and alpacas are all to be a part of this farm that has until now been chickens and establishing trees. They are not a secondary concern from this point forward. They may prove to be a primary headache, but fencing will be adjusted accordingly.
Honestly even with just barb wire my goats stayed on property for their life time. Food shelter large property to roam on no one looking to leave. One of the llama got off property once through loose barb wire area. Ran up the adjoining hill. I called to the remaining llamas at the fence still on property to come to the barn for a treat. When the other llamas left the escape llama came back through the loose fence to chase after the other llamas lol. They want to be home

You have become an enabler. By trying to fence their dogs out and chasing them home unharmed you are removing incentive for the neighbors to control the dogs. It isn't working now and will continue to get worse.
Centrarchid is doing the best he can within Missouri laws and under his circumstances. It would be unwise to mow down a dozen neighborhood dogs seeing as he plans to continue living there with his small children. Sometimes you gotta think with your brains rather than your gonads ;)

Last edited:
I'm guessing what you can do depends on the state, but in Virginia, a Sheriff's Deputy explained to me (after a dog came onto my property and killed some of my chickens) that (1) an owner absolutely has the right to shoot a dog that comes onto the owner's property and kills, attacks, or pursues livestock or pets, and (2) the owner of that dog is committing a crime by allowing the dog to do so.

The court probably will not order the dog destroyed after the first time, but probably will fine the dog owner and order you paid for the dead animals. After a repeat offense, the dog will likely be put down and the penalty will likely be more severe, but you can never be sure what a court will do.

I'm not a lawyer; but that's what the deputy told me. I suggest you contact animal control and ask them what your options are.

I'm guessing what you can do depends on the state, but in Virginia, a Sheriff's Deputy explained to me (after a dog came onto my property and killed some of my chickens) that (1) an owner absolutely has the right to shoot a dog that comes onto the owner's property and kills, attacks, or pursues livestock or pets, and (2) the owner of that dog is committing a crime by allowing the dog to do so.

The court probably will not order the dog destroyed after the first time, but probably will fine the dog owner and order you paid for the dead animals. After a repeat offense, the dog will likely be put down and the penalty will likely be more severe, but you can never be sure what a court will do.

I'm not a lawyer; but that's what the deputy told me. I suggest you contact animal control and ask them what your options are.
We do not have animal control for rural Callaway County, MO. County sheriff office has been contacted multiple times, in part to establish a record. I had a 10-day window for claiming losses, which I did not do. Getting funds would be far more trouble than worth. These details have been worked out previously in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom