Dog is eating the quail food?

Whole seeds, maybe.

But the kind of feed that is complete pellets made of ground ingredients is fine for dogs.

The ingredients are pretty much the same as what most dog food has (usually lots of grains and soy, and small amounts of other things). Of course a dog can get fat by eating too much of anything, and the nutrients are not going to be balanced properly for a dog, but a bit here and there won't hurt them. Even a big bellyful on occasion won't do any real harm to a dog. Edit: but read Geen's posts below about medicated feed--some medications CAN harm dogs.

For the original question, I agree that training the dog not to eat the quail food would be best. EverythingDucks gave a pretty good description of how.

Edit to add: or can you make a feeder that quails can reach into but the dog cannot? Maybe a wire mesh their heads can reach through, or even a cage of large-size wire mesh that quails can walk through and the dog cannot.
thank you so much, the feed bowl is made up of lots of tiny holes all round with the feed underneath them. Daisy licks the pellets out of the holes, and anything big enough for a quail head would be big enough for her to fit her nose through XD

Teach her to leave it. Start by putting a treat on the ground. Keep your foot next to it to keep her from eating it. Say 'Leave it!" then reward her with a different treat. After a while she'll catch on. Then try it with quail feed. First with just a few pieces like how you do it with a treat, then do it where she normally eats it from. Be sure to reward her with treats and lots of praise. Never use leave it on something you intent for her to touch (some people use it for toys or food while they put it down).
Hope this helps!
Thank you 😊 we have been a bit lax keeping up with her training recently. But to be fair we did manage to train her to not try to eat the quails, I had no idea we’re have to train her about the quail food though! She does know the leave it command, but in my experience it only works when we're actually around though, and I’d like to be able to leave her alone with them. I’ll definitely give it a try though!

Back
Top Bottom