Dog keeps killing hens

I have no pictures. Last time I did was back in early 1980's although I did quite a few and did it as an experiment. Key was to trim close enough so primaries protruded at most 2" from feather base where attached to rest of wing. Two wings worked better than one. The doing one wing to imbalance flight does not work when birds employ clambering where flapping action helps bird run up a vertical surface. Two wings trimmed close stop clambering. Cutting secondaries can provide a little additional benefit although you also degrade protection from elements that secondaries would also still provide. Trimming if done now in northern hemisphere will need to be repeated come fall.

Dog needs a little training.

That fence definitely isn't secure against a dog. Not only can chickens easily fly out (my flock would be climbing all over the top of the coop, and that's already higher than the fence) but there's so many avenues in for the dog - it can dig in, and the gaps appear to be large enough that it could simply reach in and tear apart a chicken.

A more secure, easy-to-get fence set up would be something like a 10x10 chain link dog kennel, with some sort of roof or even chicken wire on top to prevent the chickens from flying out, and hardware cloth on the bottom few feet aproned out to discourage the dog from trying to dig in or reach in towards the chickens.

The alternative would be to train the dog but that is up to you.

Chickens are better climbers than they are fliers. After looking at your pen I see numerous ways that a hen can hop from place to place to get high enough to jump down over your fence and land outside. Also it does little or no good to clip both wings because the thing about a clipped wing that keeps poultry inside is the lack of directional stability that a clipped wing gives. Clipping both wings will not work. You need to cut the flight feathers back drastically on just one wing to get the effect that you're looking for. Warning, clipping wings will make your hens extremely vulnerable to attack from predators like dachshunds.

Chickens are better climbers than they are fliers. After looking at your pen I see numerous ways that a hen can hop from place to place to get high enough to jump down over your fence and land outside. Also it does little or no good to clip both wings because the thing about a clipped wing that keeps poultry inside is the lack of directional stability that a clipped wing gives. Clipping both wings will not work. You need to cut the flight feathers back drastically on just one wing to get the effect that you're looking for. Warning, clipping wings will make your hens extremely vulnerable to attack from predators like dachshunds.

I have done the wing clipping correctly numerous times. If I could keep my games in that pen, the OP can do the ornamental / ornamental breeds as well. The business of doing one wing is total boulougne or how ever you spell it.

Dachshunds are bred for hunting and killing small animals so even if you keep your chickens penned he will stress them by constantly worrying them at the sides of the pen. Stressed chickens don't lay well. You need to keep your dog away from your chickens and only let him/her there when you are there to supervise. You cannot let him/her worry them or harass them as this will only solidify it as an acceptable behaviour in his/her mind. Get a dog run if necessary. You will need to do some serious training to teach your dog how you expect him/her to act around the birds. This is a great website and this particular page is what you need:
http://www.training-your-dog-and-you.com/Behavior_Adjustment_Training.html

It sounds like you have resigned yourself to having a chicken killing dog.
on my acreage that is not acceptable.
i suggest you train the dog to leave the chickens alone.
even with the most secure fence, sometimes chickens get out. and then the pooch will kill what he can.
it will take time to do the improvements on the fence.
in that much time, you could have the dog trained..

If your not worried about closing the top, since it's not closed in now. I would use 2 x 4 x 6 ft high welded wire and attach it to your existing fence, if it will support it. That should be enough to keep your chickens from getting over it, it worked for me before, when I didn't need a covered run. You also need to work with your dog.
I also have a Dachshund mix she kinda went after one of my 12 week old chickens, when they went flapping through the yard but I was there to stop her. Now said Rhode Island red will run after her if she gets to close to my chickens. The dog actually keeps her distance and an eye on the chickens now. I actually yell at the chicken to leave the dogs alone. The other one is a pug and could care less about the chickens

I had to borrow a shock collar after weeks of trying to train my Australian Shepard mix. It only took 2 good shocks. And now she avoids the chickens at all cost. However, my dog had only tried to chase & had never killed. I've always trained my dogs using the Barbara Woodhouse method "no such thing as a bad dog", & I remember her book talking about the only way to cure a dog from chicken killing. It was harsh & required a sacrifical chicken.

We use a loose dangling wire stretched across like a clothes line just above a 4 ft tall welded wire fence. Chickens have to land on something secure and sturdy. The non hot wire swings like a hammock giving the chickens a not so safe feeling and stop trying to perch on the fence before completely crossing the boundaries.
We have never witnessed a complete hurtled fly over with clipped wings. They always perch on the fence before crossing the boundary. It is a psychological barrier once they land on it and feel insecure enough. It takes time because they are creatures of habit. That along with staying on top of clipping wings. They still can perch 2 ft high with fresh clipped wings. Leghorns (we have a few) are light and fly like Segal's and like to roam. Sometimes a larger run scratches that itch. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence regardless.
The dog's need for dominance is more than half the problem as well.
Not saying this is your miracle cure, just it is been our system for 20 years.
Find what works for you with trial and error.

Back
Top Bottom