Dog killed neighbor’s chickens

I understand that it was all set off by a kid trying to get his ball back. Forgive the kid! We've all fallen victim to good intentions that went awry.

I agree about the letter, along with a pie, brownies, or a cake, and be sure to keep a copy of the letter for your records, and future use, if needed. The neighbor may figure he's going to hatch out more chickens in the spring, so he doesn't need you to replace them.

*hugs* I am sorry for the lost chickens and for the pain your dogs (and you) are going through.

Definitely go talk to the kids parents about the whole gate thing/trespassing. Make sure you mention that the kid DID let you know the dogs got out. (This was a positive in a negative situation.) Please make sure it comes across as an FYI unless you want the parents to compensate you for the vet bills.

It sounds like you don't want/need the vet bills reimbursed.

I hope your dogs make a full recovery.

Did you add additional locks/security to your gates? Put up warning signs about the dogs? (Even if they are friendly doggies, warning signs should be posted on the gate/in the yard/on the fence.)

:goodpost:You brought up a good point, Duckworth, regarding the boy trespassing which set off this chain of unfortunate events. Hopefully his parents will turn this situation as a chance to teach their child about careless behavior and what can be the outcome of such a lack of judgment. We have three Huskies and we have had our dogs let loose for the exact same thing - the neighbor's boy came into our yard to retrieve a ball. After that, and the time the meter reader left the gate open, we installed a second lock on all gates along with signs on the gate (Keep gate closed - dogs in yard). A child entering a neighbor's yard uninvited and who has dogs could be a very dangerous situation for a child; I've read about so many dog attacks on children because a child crossed over into the neighbor's yard.
Yeah, if a kid came in my yard and my dogs were in it, it would be a lot worse story than just the dogs got out and killed some chickens. The kid would get hurt. I have no trespassing signs and locked gates, but my dogs guard this property as many do. I don't leave them out alone, I go out with them usually, and never when I am not home, but still. People need to teach their kids to not trespass.

If somebody came in my yard I'd be furious. Whatever the dogs doled out would be their fault for coming through my gate past the signs that say to stay out onto a property they aren't welcome in. I don't like people. I extra don't like kids. Get off my land.

I called the police
That should make it a record...if he comes back later.

You might consider a brief letter to your neighbor apologizing once more, recognizing his right to defend his flock and once more offering compensation. You could explain the accidental release and let him know you have added a lock. Keep a copy for your records. If you are concerned about 'something down the road', documentation is good.

Edit - Hand him the letter with the above mentioned pie!:D
I would send a letter certified mail, to have a record.

He may be a bit afraid because he shot your dogs, not being sure what you might do.
Agrees. Your vet bill is probably way more than his birds his birds are worth.

Thanks everyone!

I have spoken to the young man and his parents, all of whom were sorry. He raked the leafs in my yard and we called it a lesson learned. I have since installed locks and posted more signs.

As for my neighbor and his chickens- his wife got back with me. Informed me they didn’t care about the chickens as they wander often and these things happen. However she did go on to say a few things I felt were wrong of her. She thinks I should rehome my dogs or move (least they “go missing one day”), and that I don’t understand how things work around here because I’m not a Harrison or Smuin, and they’ve farmed these lands for 100 years, and I don’t belong in this neighborhood. She then went on to say my dogs are likely to attack a child and she’ll be letting the other neighbors know that.

So safe to say a pie and a letter won’t cut it. She all but threatened to kill my dogs. Pretty sure this bridge is burned. So I will be installing security cameras along with my new locks and signs. Not much else I can do. Just wish it hadn’t of happened.

The young man and his parents did offer to speak with the other neighbor, so maybe that will help? You can’t exactly say my dogs are likely to attack people when that little boy walked right in my yard and all they did was take off. But whatever. If they want to think that I’ll have to just let them.

Thanks so much for all the advice. I’ll try to put some of it to use and hopefully settle the matter. Wish me luck!

I am officially wishing you luck. That sounds like a very hard and unfair situation that you have handled with aplomb... good for you for not losing your temper.

Yes, it might help if the neighbors go over there and explain how it was a mistake made by a little child and not ravening beasts yearning to kill things. But you know, some people are never happy, no matter what.

I wish you the best of luck, and I sincerely wish you were *my* neighbor. You are a gem!

Not much you can do to 'settle' things with the chicken neighbors attitude as presented.

Wonders if the boy and his folks know this neighbor at all,
or are they also 'invading newbies' to the area,
and will also be deemed unfit for courtesy?

I'd document the conversation before you forget the verbiage,
maybe also contact the police again, just as a matter of record.
Hopefully the cops are not also part of the '100 years club'.
They may be well versed with these people, I'd bet they've caused trouble before.

Best of Luck to you.

Not sure if it is just me imagining things, but I recently (in the past couple of days) read a thread here on BYC which very much sounded like this story posted by the chicken owner.... Dogs attacked his/her chickens, shot dogs but didn't kill them and dog owner retrieved dogs and offered to compensate for chickens. I'm not sure if it was in the pests and predators section.
Wouldn't it be strange if both parties were BYC members!!

Here is the link.... maybe not the same incident after all but incredibly similar.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-do-i-get-rid-of-predators.1208603/

Back
Top Bottom