dog problem..need help..Warning:somewhat graphic content and questions

BekahBear

Songster
11 Years
Jan 3, 2010
Arizona
I currently have a dog problem. Well lets start from the beginning(sorry for such a long post but I need to rant a little). In the area that I live in everyone lives on about 4-6 acres. I have a fenced in yard where I keep my dogs and I have my coop just outside that fence. The coop itself is completely predator safe but is too small to keep all the chickens locked up all day. I let them free range on the property during the daytime. Well we have lost 4 hens to this dog so far. We lost Butterscotch, Goldie, Buffy, and Speckles. The chickens are now on lock down and are locked up until I can get this problem figured out. The dog is a chow looking mix that keeps getting out somehow. Sometimes it is accompanied by an old looking golden retriever (this is the only one out of the 3 that I’m not worried about) and a chow/Shepard looking mix. The Shepard mix growled at me last time they were on my property when I tried to shoo them away. I am at my wits end with these stupid dogs. I went for a long walk about a month ago and found that they live about 4 houses away from us (4 houses away on 4-6 acre lots is a pretty good distance for a dog to be roaming). They get out and roam around causing trouble. They seem to be getting out almost every day lately. Its only the chow dog that goes after chickens but as I said, the Shepard mix growled at me. i fear for the safety of my animals(as well as the chickens I have rabbits, horses, dogs, etc) but more than that I fear for my 4 year old daughter. What if she was out playing with the chickens or rabbits when this dog came by? I talked with one of my immediate neighbors about a week ago and found out that he has had a few run-ins with these dogs and their owner in the past. I guess they killed 10+ of his chickens about a year ago and went after a baby goat injuring it and its mother. He took them to court for damages and won. Apparently this wasn’t enough for these people to learn to keep their dogs locked up(my neighbor said he has started to lose some chickens to these dogs again in the last couple months). He said it was the chow that got his birds and the Shepard that went after the goats.
Well, today I come home to find my EE hen Butterscotch torn to shreds. the game-cam caught the chow mix dog red handed again. (we set a game cam up after the dogs started showing up. i was worried they would start going after the chickens or the rabbit hutches and i wanted to have proof if i needed to confront the owners. unfortunately i now know that the owners dont care)I’m livid and done trying to be nice and just shoo the stupid dog/s away. I hate to come to this, but from talking to my immediate neighbor I realize that the owner of these animals doesn’t listen to reason or even a judge and will continue to let the dogs get out and reek havoc. I wish I could just fence in my whole property but financially that is not a possibility and wont be any time soon. so now i am at the SSS point. I would try to just catch the dogs and turn them over to the pound but if the person goes and picks them up I’m right back where I started plus I wouldn’t want someone else to adopt any of these dogs and bring their problems with them.
So my question is…what is going to be the easiest way to catch and dispatch them? I have a gun but am not fully comfortable using it…not to mention the dogs usually come around when we’re at work. I think my best option would be to catch them somehow and go from there. I have thought about a live trap but one that big would be really expensive. What are some other ways I could catch these dogs when they come over next time? My husband mentioned a leghold trap or snare trap but I have never had any experience at all with anything like that. also, does anyone know of a good and quick way to end them? I would rather them not suffer at all. my husband said he would shoot them if needed but I was wondering if there were any other options.
I know some people will tell me that there are other options and that I shouldn’t be trying to dispose of these dogs but this is not the 1st time they have caused problems and the safety of my family comes first to me over the life of a dog.
I will be very happy and relieved when I know these dogs are no longer running loose. They have killed many animals in the past. as well as myself, many of my neighbors have small children. If they are so eager to growl at adults I shudder to think what would happen if a child was too close when these dogs are going after livestock.

Shoot him, bury him and don't say a word. Your daughter's life is much more important than the dogs. Once a dog kills there is no stopping him. He will continue to kill. The owners would not have any remorse or appreciation if u take the trouble to tell them of their dog's death. Save urself the trouble.
barnie.gif

Alright...I'm going to try to be PC about this for the first time . Sice you have the neighbors dog on tape....have you tried showing it to them and explaining what your concerns are ? My dogs are trained to not go onto the neighbors property , but some people think they are "in the country " and that means they think thier dogs are okay on 4 acres . I have 36 acres myself...but I digress . Talk to the neighbir in question ( if you haven't already ) . If you have....then I don't know what to tell you . Most dogs that wander off are bored . They see a chicken running and the next thing you know it's dead . My dog has done it....but I now have him trained where he'll just let me know a chicken is out . That is your livestock....your pets....do what you need to do . You have all of it on camera , so even if you shot the dog , you wouldn't be liable . It is hard to shoot a dog.....but what is harder , shooting one dog or watching your flock be destroyed ? That's my opinion.....I am however good with a gun....but don't enjoy shooting pets . You need to decide what's more important . There is no cheap alternative .

Do you have animal control in your area? if not then the sheriff. Call them and file a report to start. Since you know where the dogs live they'll even come out and handle it for you. The animal control in my county rents out traps (even large dog sized) with a 100% refundable deposit also.

I had a pack of wild dogs in my area ended up getting over 40 birds in nemerous attacks.(ate through chicken wire, peeled apart a panel of wood on the coop etc etc) I shot one at one point and called animal control who came and picked up the body. The guy even said they were happy when people took thinks into their own hands.

I know it sucks but take pics of the dead chickens, any dameges to your property. some states will even label a dog dangerous and will get fined if their dogs are seen off their property. is there a 'leash law' in your area?

But my vote is shoot it. Its the only way to permanantly fix the problem. If the owners really dont care about their dog that much its probably better off for the dog anyway. If you trap it please dont use anything but a live trap. the other ones are very cruel.
sad.png

Good luck. All my attacks had me almost giving up having chickens.. Before I replace majority of my flock Im pretty much gonna secure the run and wrap the whole thing in like 3 rows of hotwire!

I've been there, done that. SSS is only a temporary solution---------they just buy more dogs when fido or fluffy doesn't come home. The dog packs have a knack for striking when you're not there. I've had to shoot my first dog when I chased off the pack, all but one which stood over its multi-kills and growled/threaten me. I have also caught a friendly dog killing chickens and drew targets on its sides and a bullseye on its forehead------that must of worked, never saw that one again. I don't always SSS, but when the dogs are aggressive large breeds known for attacks, I dispatch. Just do the best you can with the resources you have. Try to Predator proof as best you can, document attacks with photos (You'll be glad you did when the dog owners call the Sheriff on you!). Trap'em if you can. Don't give up.

First set up some targets and GET comfortable with that firearm! Someone who doesn't know what they're doing with a weapon can be a danger to themselves and others.
THEN SSS that $*(#%#$ dog. I've found its easier to do if I have a hole about 3ft deep somewhere on my place to dump the carcass. Then its only SDS. (shoot dump shut up)

Sorry for your troubles but it can turn serious. I think you should trap the dogs and call the Sheriff. If the Sheriff doesn't come then call the State Trooper....... yes, they will come. They have more authority then a Sheriff. Let them know the dog growled at you and you fear for yourself, family and animals on your OWN property. If they find out it's an agressive dog more action will probably be taken. Then you can sue those owners. It might be the only way to handle the situation without having to kill the dogs.

I read on here some time ago about someone who painted a target on a wandering dog that kept coming on their property. It never came back
lol.png
Seriously though, call the law first. Tell them you have it on video, and ask if they would go talk to the owner. Also get the police to mention that it is legal to shoot dogs that are killing peoples livestock. Oh yeah, dont forget to mention about the dog that growled at you. If this doesn't get any results...SSS.

The problem with SSS - is that you have neighbors - so you need to make PERFECTLY sure that shooting a gun in your neighborhood will not get you thrown in jail. 4-6 acres between houses still allows for a gun to be heard by ALL neighbors.............................make sure you are legal doing it, nad if you're not, well, then be careful because you don't wnat to be thrown in jail
Shooting a gun to protect livestock is OK by a lot of standards,but your neighbors also have children, and they may not be all that appreciative of it

Talk to the dog owners, make them aware of the situation, keep a record of date and what was said. It may not have any effect, but will allow you to go to phase two with a clean conscious. Set up a good backstop and start practicing with your firearm of choice, get proficient and comfortable with using it. I have had similiar problems with a neighbor down the road, it's amazing how a little target practice can remind them to keep a tighter rein on their dogs for a while. There is a chance these dogs may have been shot at before, and the sound of gun fire may work as somewhat of a deterent, but not likely. Once you are handy with putting the bullet in the X, and still having problems, address the situation with extreme prejudice. In other words shoot to kill, you do not want it squalling home. What you do after I suppose depends on your confidence in your ability to keep a secret. Either plant it, or call the law. If you are getting the law involved, I would get them involved earlier in the process, before lethal solutions are applied, so you know where you stand.

Back
Top Bottom