Dog show(s)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by KDOGG331, Nov 25, 2018.

1. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Enabler

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Did anybody watch the National Dog Show on Thanksgiving Day?? I normally do but missed it this time but I did catch some of the rerun later that night as well as find some clips online. I love dogs and dog shows so I always love watching them when they are on and I’m planning to start attending more IRL too. There’s a lot near MA/New England. But also there is a pretty big one in Western PA every January that I am planning on attending this coming year (2019). That particular city also has a lot of agility trials, practically every weekend, so I plan to come back for some of those too, maybe in the spring or summer. As I said, I love dogs. :lau :oops: we also have family in western PA though so it’s not like I’m coming out here just for the dogs. Although I kinda am. :lau I want to go to Westminster or the National Dog Show sometime too though cause I think a huge one like that could be fun. Anybody else love dogs and/or dog shows as much as me? And/or maybe even show or used to show? I feel like there were at least a few people on here that used to show iirc?

2. blackandtan

blackandtan Chirping

Aug 30, 2016
    Thunder Bay Ontario canada
    I used to compete in lots of confirmation shows but never will again, too many dogs are being overbred to fit our beauty ideals, literally killing breeds like bulldogs, all the toys and so many more. I’ve had way more fun doing obedience, rally and and tracking trials etc where the dogs are actually doing something - and having way more fun too ! :)

dpenning, JaeG, ChooksNQuilts and 2 others like this.
  3. Tortoise

Tortoise Songster

Aug 19, 2018
    Chicago
    I used to raise and show Chinese Shar-Pei before they became AKC. Confirmation and one in obedience. Loved it and miss it. Lot of work though and not a cheap hobby. Lived in Michigan at that time. Not a lot of shows locally as some better show states. I do watch many of the shows on tv and never miss the West Minster.
    You should join a local club and learn the ropes and show a dog. If you don't get into breeding, you can do it cheaper and just go to local shows.

007Sean likes this.
  4. MotherOfPeepPeeps

MotherOfPeepPeeps Songster

Apr 16, 2018
    Missouri
    I have had two border collies and a kelpie that I used to take to sheep dog trials, and a few Jack Russel's that I used to take to JRTCA trial, but those are not really anything like official kennel club dog shows.... I never cared much for AKC or UKC shows.

007Sean likes this.
  5. tripletfeb

tripletfeb Songster

I watched it. I enjoyed it, although they always skip over my favorite breed, the pharoah hound.

007Sean and Ducksandchickens like this.
  6. Tortoise

Tortoise Songster

Aug 19, 2018
    Chicago
    Good breeders will breed to better the breed, not wreck it for stupid reasons like you mentioned. I too years ago raised ard showed Chinese Shar-Pei, before they became AKC. So many years ago. It was a blast and yes, we bred to better the breeed from what was done to try to save them from extinction. I can't imagine what's probably going on now. All these backyard breeders breeding "designer" dogs which stupid people pay though sands for not getting it they are mixed breed dogs. Burns me too no end.

007Sean likes this.
  7. Ducksandchickens

Ducksandchickens Free Ranging

Apr 24, 2018
    North Western Ohio
    I watched it! A friend from church won best in show at the dog show. She breeds corgis

ViolinPlayer123 likes this.
  8. blackandtan

blackandtan Chirping

Aug 30, 2016
    Thunder Bay Ontario canada
    If showing interests you, have you considered chicken showing? Most country or fall fairs have some sort of chicken or poultry show. I haven’t been yet but I’d love to try it!

9. 007Sean

007Sean Addict

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    X2

Ducksandchickens likes this.
  10. AnimalGeek23

AnimalGeek23 Crowing

Apr 10, 2018
    New York State
    I ALWAYS watch it every year! I absolutely LOVE seeing all the breeds of dogs(spaniels and hound especially)!! I love all types of dogs. I wish I had one, but my parents don’t have time, and I have school. I have some waiting to do! Can’t wait til I move out! :lau

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: