ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
Did anybody watch the National Dog Show on Thanksgiving Day?? I normally do but missed it this time but I did catch some of the rerun later that night as well as find some clips online. I love dogs and dog shows so I always love watching them when they are on and I’m planning to start attending more IRL too. There’s a lot near MA/New England. But also there is a pretty big one in Western PA every January that I am planning on attending this coming year (2019). That particular city also has a lot of agility trials, practically every weekend, so I plan to come back for some of those too, maybe in the spring or summer. As I said, I love dogs. :lau :oops: we also have family in western PA though so it’s not like I’m coming out here just for the dogs. Although I kinda am. :lau I want to go to Westminster or the National Dog Show sometime too though cause I think a huge one like that could be fun. Anybody else love dogs and/or dog shows as much as me? And/or maybe even show or used to show? I feel like there were at least a few people on here that used to show iirc?

I used to compete in lots of confirmation shows but never will again, too many dogs are being overbred to fit our beauty ideals, literally killing breeds like bulldogs, all the toys and so many more. I’ve had way more fun doing obedience, rally and and tracking trials etc where the dogs are actually doing something - and having way more fun too ! :)

I used to raise and show Chinese Shar-Pei before they became AKC. Confirmation and one in obedience. Loved it and miss it. Lot of work though and not a cheap hobby. Lived in Michigan at that time. Not a lot of shows locally as some better show states. I do watch many of the shows on tv and never miss the West Minster.
You should join a local club and learn the ropes and show a dog. If you don't get into breeding, you can do it cheaper and just go to local shows.

I have had two border collies and a kelpie that I used to take to sheep dog trials, and a few Jack Russel's that I used to take to JRTCA trial, but those are not really anything like official kennel club dog shows.... I never cared much for AKC or UKC shows.

I used to compete in lots of confirmation shows but never will again, too many dogs are being overbred to fit our beauty ideals, literally killing breeds like bulldogs, all the toys and so many more. I’ve had way more fun doing obedience, rally and and tracking trials etc where the dogs are actually doing something - and having way more fun too ! :)
Good breeders will breed to better the breed, not wreck it for stupid reasons like you mentioned. I too years ago raised ard showed Chinese Shar-Pei, before they became AKC. So many years ago. It was a blast and yes, we bred to better the breeed from what was done to try to save them from extinction. I can't imagine what's probably going on now. All these backyard breeders breeding "designer" dogs which stupid people pay though sands for not getting it they are mixed breed dogs. Burns me too no end.

Did anybody watch the National Dog Show on Thanksgiving Day?? I normally do but missed it this time but I did catch some of the rerun later that night as well as find some clips online. I love dogs and dog shows so I always love watching them when they are on and I’m planning to start attending more IRL too. There’s a lot near MA/New England. But also there is a pretty big one in Western PA every January that I am planning on attending this coming year (2019). That particular city also has a lot of agility trials, practically every weekend, so I plan to come back for some of those too, maybe in the spring or summer. As I said, I love dogs. :lau :oops: we also have family in western PA though so it’s not like I’m coming out here just for the dogs. Although I kinda am. :lau I want to go to Westminster or the National Dog Show sometime too though cause I think a huge one like that could be fun. Anybody else love dogs and/or dog shows as much as me? And/or maybe even show or used to show? I feel like there were at least a few people on here that used to show iirc?
I ALWAYS watch it every year! I absolutely LOVE seeing all the breeds of dogs(spaniels and hound especially)!! I love all types of dogs. I wish I had one, but my parents don’t have time, and I have school. I have some waiting to do! Can’t wait til I move out! :lau

Back
Top Bottom