ShrekDawg

Chicken Fan Club President
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
Did anybody watch the National Dog Show on Thanksgiving Day?? I normally do but missed it this time but I did catch some of the rerun later that night as well as find some clips online. I love dogs and dog shows so I always love watching them when they are on and I’m planning to start attending more IRL too. There’s a lot near MA/New England. But also there is a pretty big one in Western PA every January that I am planning on attending this coming year (2019). That particular city also has a lot of agility trials, practically every weekend, so I plan to come back for some of those too, maybe in the spring or summer. As I said, I love dogs. :lau :oops: we also have family in western PA though so it’s not like I’m coming out here just for the dogs. Although I kinda am. :lau I want to go to Westminster or the National Dog Show sometime too though cause I think a huge one like that could be fun. Anybody else love dogs and/or dog shows as much as me? And/or maybe even show or used to show? I feel like there were at least a few people on here that used to show iirc?

I used to compete in lots of confirmation shows but never will again, too many dogs are being overbred to fit our beauty ideals, literally killing breeds like bulldogs, all the toys and so many more. I’ve had way more fun doing obedience, rally and and tracking trials etc where the dogs are actually doing something - and having way more fun too ! :)

I use to raise and show Weimaraners. Did mostly field trials. As @blackandtan , said too many people breeding dogs and know nothing about genetics or have any intention of preserving the breed as originally bred. This has been the case for Weimaraners. Weimars use to be large dogs, the Germans bred them to be war dogs. Once they got over to the states, they started breeding them for apartment size dogs. Sigh!! Mine were all 30" at the shoulders or more, had one male that stood 33" at the shoulders.
Nowdays, your lucky to see any that size. AKC shows have a size limit of 28" , this has ruined the breed as far as I'm concerned.

Dog Shows are too political, have been for years. It's more about who is on the end of the lead (handler). Not cheap at all.
As for these designer dog. Please...they are mixed mutts. Loveable mutts, not worth the high price that is being put on them. I will not pay those prices. I can remember people not able to give mixes away.
I have 3 rescue Chihuahuas. Adopted a 9 year old (will be 13 in Jan), 3 year old (now 5) and a pup near death from coccidia, (now 4). Adoption fee less than $200 for the senior and the pup. The 3 year old was given to us by a Co worker of hubbys. Her dog was bullying her and wouldn't let her eat. She knows I love Chihuahuas and asked if we could/would take her. Hubby asked me and I said yes. She is my velcro, senior is my shadow. The youngest jumps between me & hubby, but prefers me. They are my bed warmers.

The size changes are bad enough but I think it should be criminal to create an animal that can’t even function, ie, the wrinkled breeds that can’t see, short faced breeds that can’t breathe, to say nothing of the “purse” breeds so small and delicate a chicken could beat them up..sorry for the rant!
X2 I agree whole heartedly. The same can be said of almost any animal, bird, reptile. Why people can't just enjoy the breed for how they originally were developed, I'll never understand.

Whoops, missed a lot. aha I agree with all of you. Some breeds have been absolutely ruined by dog shows while others I think have been helped. I did not know the weims used to be such big dogs. I think size and color restrictions and such are stupid but that said, sometimes they make the breed the breed (golden retriever, belgian shepherds) but sometimes it limits the gene pool unnecessarily.

I agree I’m some ways, and I agree to @Tortoise too.
A lot of people are over breeding the wrinkled skin ones, but usually breeding is to make the dogs better. :) I wish I could show my friend’s collie. He’s beautiful!

I use to raise and show Weimaraners. Did mostly field trials. As @blackandtan , said too many people breeding dogs and know nothing about genetics or have any intention of preserving the breed as originally bred. This has been the case for Weimaraners. Weimars use to be large dogs, the Germans bred them to be war dogs. Once they got over to the states, they started breeding them for apartment size dogs. Sigh!! Mine were all 30" at the shoulders or more, had one male that stood 33" at the shoulders.
Nowdays, your lucky to see any that size. AKC shows have a size limit of 28" , this has ruined the breed as far as I'm concerned.

The size changes are bad enough but I think it should be criminal to create an animal that can’t even function, ie, the wrinkled breeds that can’t see, short faced breeds that can’t breathe, to say nothing of the “purse” breeds so small and delicate a chicken could beat them up..sorry for the rant!

Aw. Over breeding is a problem.. the bull terrier is now so stubby compared to the 1990’s!

Naw, it needs to be said in my opinion.

X2 I agree whole heartedly. The same can be said of almost any animal, bird, reptile. Why people can't just enjoy the breed for how they originally were developed, I'll never understand.

Back
Top Bottom