I used to compete in lots of confirmation shows but never will again, too many dogs are being overbred to fit our beauty ideals, literally killing breeds like bulldogs, all the toys and so many more. I’ve had way more fun doing obedience, rally and and tracking trials etc where the dogs are actually doing something - and having way more fun too ! :)
I agree I’m some ways, and I agree to @Tortoise too.
A lot of people are over breeding the wrinkled skin ones, but usually breeding is to make the dogs better. :) I wish I could show my friend’s collie. He’s beautiful!

I use to raise and show Weimaraners. Did mostly field trials. As @blackandtan , said too many people breeding dogs and know nothing about genetics or have any intention of preserving the breed as originally bred. This has been the case for Weimaraners. Weimars use to be large dogs, the Germans bred them to be war dogs. Once they got over to the states, they started breeding them for apartment size dogs. Sigh!! Mine were all 30" at the shoulders or more, had one male that stood 33" at the shoulders.
Nowdays, your lucky to see any that size. AKC shows have a size limit of 28" , this has ruined the breed as far as I'm concerned.

I use to raise and show Weimaraners. Did mostly field trials. As @blackandtan , said too many people breeding dogs and know nothing about genetics or have any intention of preserving the breed as originally bred. This has been the case for Weimaraners. Weimars use to be large dogs, the Germans bred them to be war dogs. Once they got over to the states, they started breeding them for apartment size dogs. Sigh!! Mine were all 30" at the shoulders or more, had one male that stood 33" at the shoulders.
Nowdays, your lucky to see any that size. AKC shows have a size limit of 28" , this has ruined the breed as far as I'm concerned.
Aw. Over breeding is a problem.. the bull terrier is now so stubby compared to the 1990’s!

The size changes are bad enough but I think it should be criminal to create an animal that can’t even function, ie, the wrinkled breeds that can’t see, short faced breeds that can’t breathe, to say nothing of the “purse” breeds so small and delicate a chicken could beat them up..sorry for the rant!
Naw, it needs to be said in my opinion.

The size changes are bad enough but I think it should be criminal to create an animal that can’t even function, ie, the wrinkled breeds that can’t see, short faced breeds that can’t breathe, to say nothing of the “purse” breeds so small and delicate a chicken could beat them up..sorry for the rant!
X2 I agree whole heartedly. The same can be said of almost any animal, bird, reptile. Why people can't just enjoy the breed for how they originally were developed, I'll never understand.

I used to compete in lots of confirmation shows but never will again, too many dogs are being overbred to fit our beauty ideals, literally killing breeds like bulldogs, all the toys and so many more. I’ve had way more fun doing obedience, rally and and tracking trials etc where the dogs are actually doing something - and having way more fun too ! :)

Yeah, I’ve read some articles and seen pictures talking about and showing the difference between some breeds now versus 100 years ago and some of them it is astounding, shocking, and sad. Especially the brachy breeds, even though I love them. I do think dog shows can be fun to watch though and are also good to meet the breeds and find breeders I like. I do like performance sports too though and am planning on doing a few with my next dog or possibly even with brother’s dogs. I actually have another performance dogs thread I started a while ago but it never got very many replies. Trying to bring it back. :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/performance-dogs.1271265/

I used to raise and show Chinese Shar-Pei before they became AKC. Confirmation and one in obedience. Loved it and miss it. Lot of work though and not a cheap hobby. Lived in Michigan at that time. Not a lot of shows locally as some better show states. I do watch many of the shows on tv and never miss the West Minster.
You should join a local club and learn the ropes and show a dog. If you don't get into breeding, you can do it cheaper and just go to local shows.

My dad’s friend used to have one of those. He seemed like a nice dog. And yeah, I imagine it’s not cheap. Even just having a pet and buying food, harnesses, collars, leashes, toys, beds, etc. is expensive, can’t imagine gas, crates, grooming supplies, and all that stuff. Plus hotels and food for human and/or handler fees. But yeah, I might show, idk. I like watching them but not sure if I have an interest in participating myself or not. Although I have thought of breeding so maybe I would eventually but that’s expensive and time consuming. I’ve thought of participating in other dog sports though.

I have had two border collies and a kelpie that I used to take to sheep dog trials, and a few Jack Russel's that I used to take to JRTCA trial, but those are not really anything like official kennel club dog shows.... I never cared much for AKC or UKC shows.

That’s awesome too though! I’m not entirely sure if the AKC is that great anymore but most shows are AKC so I still watch. I do love all dog sports though.

I do have a performance dog thread too if you wanted to post there. I’d love to hear about the trials. :)

I watched it. I enjoyed it, although they always skip over my favorite breed, the pharoah hound.

That stinks. :( The clip might be online somewhere.

Good breeders will breed to better the breed, not wreck it for stupid reasons like you mentioned. I too years ago raised ard showed Chinese Shar-Pei, before they became AKC. So many years ago. It was a blast and yes, we bred to better the breeed from what was done to try to save them from extinction. I can't imagine what's probably going on now. All these backyard breeders breeding "designer" dogs which stupid people pay though sands for not getting it they are mixed breed dogs. Burns me too no end.

That is very true and a few rare breeds have been saved by breeders, which is definitely great, but I do feel like there is a certain amount of breeding to win (therefore breeding the style/type that wins) and politics involved. There is a major difference in some breeds now versus 100 years ago. Especially braphyliac, which I am not hating on because I love and plan to own some of those breeds eventually, but it’s not natural. Some breeds are even breeding genetic defects/mutations as a critical part of the breed. That said I do love watching them and I think I may show a dog eventually but not all breeding is good. I am not at all antibreeder though like I see a lot of people are. I just question some breeds. Idk. I question lots though. But I do agree 10000% on designer breeds though. So stupid. You can usually adopt the same exact mix from the shelter and save a life in the process instead of spending thousands on a mutt that likely has a million health and temperament issues.

QUOTE="Ducksandchickens, post: 20690108, member: 511776"]I watched it! A friend from church won best in show at the dog show. She breeds corgis[/QUOTE]

Wow that’s awesome! I love corgis. We just saw some at the hotel yesterday. Didn’t get to say hi though.

If showing interests you, have you considered chicken showing? Most country or fall fairs have some sort of chicken or poultry show. I haven’t been yet but I’d love to try it!

I’ve thought about it but bird showing seems a little more boring? Idk. But I also worry about bringing home diseases to the flock.

They probably have that dog online.

I ALWAYS watch it every year! I absolutely LOVE seeing all the breeds of dogs(spaniels and hound especially)!! I love all types of dogs. I wish I had one, but my parents don’t have time, and I have school. I have some waiting to do! Can’t wait til I move out! :lau

I love the sporting breeds, especially spaniels and retrievers, and the working breeds.

Whoops, missed a lot. aha I agree with all of you. Some breeds have been absolutely ruined by dog shows while others I think have been helped. I did not know the weims used to be such big dogs. I think size and color restrictions and such are stupid but that said, sometimes they make the breed the breed (golden retriever, belgian shepherds) but sometimes it limits the gene pool unnecessarily.

I agree I’m some ways, and I agree to @Tortoise too.
A lot of people are over breeding the wrinkled skin ones, but usually breeding is to make the dogs better. :) I wish I could show my friend’s collie. He’s beautiful!

Aw. Over breeding is a problem.. the bull terrier is now so stubby compared to the 1990’s!

Naw, it needs to be said in my opinion.

X2 I agree whole heartedly. The same can be said of almost any animal, bird, reptile. Why people can't just enjoy the breed for how they originally were developed, I'll never understand.

Btw I do also have a separate performance dog thread if anyone’s interested. It kinda died and I’ve been thinking about dog shows recently so I made this one but I’d like to get the other one revived if anyone is interested. I probably should have made one thread for all things dog but oh well aha that one’s basically all other sports. But we could combine them if it’s easier. But I love pictures and stories and whatever of any sport/job/work if anyone wants. Also loving the discussion here though.

Back
Top Bottom