Dog turned predator - how do I convince my husband to get rid of it?

Now that I've read more of your story, I agree that the dog would be far better off with your neighbor. The dog is neglected, out of control, and in need of someone who will give her the attention and training it deserves. You can't have a dog like that tied to a run line all day and expect it to behave. There are good, calm dogs that do "fall off the truck that way" but they still need training and to be taught manners. I hope you can come to a resolution that will work for your whole family.

Then I suppose we were just very lucky with our previous dog. She was given to us when she was 3 years old and she was such a darling. I am the first to confess I had misgivings about handling a large breed, but after seeing how great she was with everybody (me, the children, our birds, other dogs) I realized what a valuable asset such a dog can be. I didn't mind at all taking her for walks, playing with her, etc, especially since I could do it *with my kids*. I simply can't spare the time for kid-free dog walking/training.

Maybe I was also set up for a disappointment/shock precisely *because* my previous experience with a dog had been so surprisingly good (though I never dreamed I'd own one). I mean, first we had a dog with manners that can only be described as aristocratic, and we got her all trained. Then we got this puppy. Of course I wasn't prepared for it.

Again, IF we ever get another dog it probably won't be a puppy. This means we'd have to deal with previous training (or lack thereof), but putting up with a puppy just isn't for me.

PS: I don't want to make my husband unhappy, I really don't. I love how he approaches everything with childlike enthusiasm. When he came home with that little puppy in his coat pocket he wore the expression of someone offering a wonderful surprise. And I'll never forget the day when he arrived and proudly announced, "I bought us two goats" (I nearly fell off my chair... "You bought two WHAT?!"). But sometimes things just don't work out.

Yes, you were lucky. By three years old she had calmed down and grown out of a lot of the puppy crazies. I'd also be willing to bet someone put the time and effort into training her during those first three years. Some dogs are calmer or more sweet-natured than others, but EVERY dog needs basic training and socialization. So yes, you got lucky.

Maybe you'll get lucky again with an older dog. It's certainly possible that you'll inherit someone else's hard work. Shelters are FULL of WONDERFUL dogs who desperately need a loving home. But I'm not sure why you are assuming training an older dog is any easier than training a puppy. Older dogs, especially rescue dogs, can come with a whole unique set of problems and challenges as a result of their life history.

I'll cross my fingers that your current dog finds a better home. You may hate the dog and it may indeed have nightmare behaviors. But you've had her all her life, so she is what you made her.

I'll also cross my fingers that you find what you're looking for in your next dog. It sounds as though it is likely your husband will bring another one home in his "childlike enthusiasm." Please consider a class in dog training. A few years ago I took one even though I had years of experience with dogs. I picked up a lot of great tips and ideas I'd never seen before, and the dog who went with me loved the social interaction. And please research dog breeds before getting the next one. Each breed has it's challenges, but some are much more suited to what you're looking for than the dog you currently have.

I'm sorry if I sound preachy. But I can practically feel the hatred for this dog radiating off you, and no dog should ever have to live in a home where it is so hated that it's owner throws rocks at it.

Best of luck, for your family and your dog.

Flock Leader, I just wanted to say I am incredibly impressed with your honesty and being able to deal with the various responses with grace. I could never do that, the primary reason is merely the topic "dog" brings out way too much passion, both helpful and absolutely unhelpful.

It seems clear the dog needs to find a new home, even without the problem of killing chickens. It's a horrible match for your family. The energy is not a match, the single person who even wants the dog is not being responsible for it.

Shame on that trainer for suggesting to your husband it was a match. That trainer clearly has no idea of the situation or has a bias for that type of 'guard dog'. Any one worth their salt would have studied the family and suggested something that was within the family's capability to train and also to consider livestock. Problem is so many people do not truly realize how difficult it is to get dogs to integrate with livestock, especially poultry or small ones. Such simplistic idea of "be the boss, the dog will respect and be perfect with all those critters!' Ugh, just ugh! That dog has a high prey drive, no getting around that fact. Also no getting around the fact that it seems obvious none of your family is capable of proper or the effort needed to get this individual dog to control its prey drive. As said, simply not a good match.

If the dog goes to a new home and someone is insistent on a new dog- put your foot down and repeat "research research" and do not let any one listen only to one individual like that trainer. Research different dog breeds- livestock guardian dogs such as Great Pyreenes. Research on how to choose the right dog- calm energy, low or no prey drive- no interest in chasing balls etc to make the new dog's integration into your home a much smoother one and happier for more family members instead of just one.

You're willing to give up the chickens but this seems unfair, if only one person wants the dog and especially if any other family members want the chickens or other livestock also.

The husband needs to stop being so flippant, bringing home 'surprises' no matter how well intentioned. Admittedly I'd have chewed him head to toe WAY long ago about responsibility. You're a far better person than I am.

The dog is about 2 years old. For a Malinois, that's still like a puppy. And unfortunately she is chained to her run line most of the time.

I do have to say I warned my husband from the beginning. He chose the puppy with the help of his friend, a professional dog trainer, who told him "this is the greatest dog ever but you will need to put a LOT of work into training." I told him: a) We don't need the greatest dog ever. For our purpose, any friendly but territorial dog will do as a guard dog. We could just get a mutt and be perfectly happy. And b) You don't have time to put in a lot of work. I did realize from the beginning this would be a problem.

I'm not anywhere near your area, but I think I might have a solution... perhaps. There's a neighbor who's a war vet, worked with dogs in the army, loves dogs, loves THIS dog, used to volunteer to take her for walks (unfortunately this stopped after a sad incident during which he let the dog loose in the yard and she wounded a chicken), and once he talked to me about how unhappy the dog obviously is with us. He told me he'd offer to take her and I told this to my husband, but back then it fell on deaf ears. Now, though, that we are moving and the dog could possibly go to someone who already knows her... it could be a great solution. If the neighbor is still willing.

At 2 yrs old a PROPERLY trained Mal is already a working Police K9. It is not your fault nor your husbands friend that this dog is now a hot mess. Your husband was told up front that he would need to put a lot of training into this dog and now he has failed this dog. If the neighbor is still willing to provide a proper home for this dog your husband needs to do the right thing and let the dog go to a home where he will be given the proper training. If you ever get another dog please consider an adult trained livestock guardian breed which has been around children and chickens.

I've had a similar issue bringing home a Great Dane pup, not long after I had my son Ethan. The dog didn't kill chickens, probably only because we had none at the time, but he did destroy everything, refused to sleep in a room by himself, yet left giant stinking mounds on the floor if allowed to sleep in our room, he was way too curious about the baby and too high for that to be a safe thing, refused to come when called if he gout outside... among other things.

We sold Mojo to a loving family in just a week, he was too much for us. The good news is, we later got a five year old retired breeding dog, a Duck Toller, and Bailey is the sweetest most nurturing dog I've ever met, and she's wonderful around the chickens. Gives predators and cats a run for it if she finds them in the yard, too. She can still get a bit worked up by attention, the more you pet her the crazier she gets, but calms down quick. So there is hope that you will find a good dog that is a perfect fit for your family, but maybe you should push yourself forward and take a more active, tempering role in the selection. Curb his enthusiasm, if you will. He needs to understand that he can't just make these decisions for you, you have to be equals.

I asked and persuaded my husband for months to let be get a rabbit. I wanted him on board, I wouldn't just bring it home without asking, just like you wouldn't get rid of his dog without asking. Tell him to show you the same respect you show him. Give no ground. Its not just his happiness that matters, yours does too, and no one is going to make you happy without your making them. Sounds pessimistic, but thats how the world is. People, men included, will do exactly as much as they think they can get away with.

I'm not sure why you are assuming training an older dog is any easier than training a puppy. Older dogs, especially rescue dogs, can come with a whole unique set of problems and challenges as a result of their life history.
I realize that an older dog can come with a set of established behavioral problems, while a puppy is a clean slate. However, if we opt for an adult dog which has had some basic training and is of a suitable breed, it might be a good solution - if my husband believes he wants/needs a dog. Again, I'm not VERY enthusiastic about getting a dog, any dog, but I have no problem walking/socializing with a calm, steady one.

By the way, I do have to say I love your avatar... it just about sums up what kind of dog I think would be right for our family.

Shame on that trainer for suggesting to your husband it was a match. Any one worth their salt would have studied the family and suggested something that was within the family's capability to train and also to consider livestock.
I agree. I would note that this trainer himself might WORK with such dogs, but he doesn't bring them home for his wife to take care of. She has put her foot down and said that's now a family dog.

The husband needs to stop being so flippant, bringing home 'surprises' no matter how well intentioned.
LOL, well to tell you the truth, if my husband hadn't brought home the first box of surprise chicks years ago, I would still be saying "I really want to get some chickens someday but I'm not sure this is the right time". He's a decisive person and I'm very cautious, so there's some sort of balance.
The dog didn't kill chickens, probably only because we had none at the time, but he did destroy everything, refused to sleep in a room by himself, yet left giant stinking mounds on the floor if allowed to sleep in our room, he was way too curious about the baby and too high for that to be a safe thing, refused to come when called if he gout outside... among other things.
That sounds like a nightmare!

Last edited:
I'm mainly just repeating what others have said already, but here goes anyway.

Firstly, I think it's admirable how analytically and unbiasedly you approach your problem, while at the same time being honest about your feelings in the matter.

Secondly, the dog could probably be trained to handle being around the chickens well. That would however need a lot of work. High energy service breeds, such as the ones your dog is made of, need a job to be happy. If the dog is just chained up all day, it's going to find something interesting to do. It really needs both physical and mental stimulation. And it is possibly to get the dog to stop chasing the chickens, a shock or spray collar might work for that, but they require excellent timing skills and an ability to read the dog well. You could give your husband an ultimatum, either spend 3-4 hours per day training and activating this dog, or re-home him. It's not fair towards you to be forced to deal with it when he's the one that has gotten it. He can't expect you to care for both the dog and the chickens while nursing a little baby at the same. The dog would be much better off living with someone who has the time and motivation to work with it.

Good luck with your efforts, whatever route you end up taking.

Dogs can be mean. I like some dogs and there are some that I hate. If a dog killed one of my animals I'm sure I would be very upset. Your own children are afraid of this dog and your husband still won't get rid of it? Dogs can be dangerous: Each year 4.7 million Americans are bitten by dogs and about 30 people are killed, Tell him the dog needs to go. I know it's not that simple but that's what I would do. So sad for your loss and for your situation.

Back
Top Bottom