Dog turned predator - how do I convince my husband to get rid of it?

Flock Leader

Songster
7 Years
May 3, 2012
Israel
I'm not someone who can say, "I love dogs". To me, that's like saying "I love people". There are many people I like, and some people I would rather avoid. Similarly, I loved our previous dog - a beautiful and gentle snowy-white Swiss shepherd (sadly, she was poisoned) - and I dislike our current dog, a German Shepherd/Belgian Malinois cross which my husband got because he was told she'd be a good guard dog (our house is isolated so we figured we can't do without a dog).

The dog lives outside and spends most of her day on a long run line, with long walks every day. We'd fence an area for her, but it's impossible as our entire yard is so rocky, there's just no place where we can possibly dig in the fence posts. Of course there were some run line accidents when she got loose and chased chickens. Then she got loose and killed some chickens. "By accident", my husband claimed, defending the dog (which he grew to love). The chickens, by the way, free range and sometimes come to eat out of the dog's bowl, although I always leave plenty of grain in their feeder. Our Swiss Shepherd didn't so much as blink an eye if a chicken came close, but this one? She got really precise lately - any chicken she catches has a 95% chance of ending up with a broken neck within 3 seconds. I asked, no, begged my husband to get rid of her, so many times. I told him we can get another dog, a well-trained and calm one like the one we used to have. I told him nothing would make me happier.

But the pivotal moment of it all was a few weeks ago, when I heard chicken panic noises from outside, and when I got out I saw this dog with A. Chicken. Wing in her mouth. She caught one of my favorite little pullets and tore her Limb. From. Limb and ate her. I got crazy. Sorry, all you dog lovers, but I was just totally insane at that moment. If I'd had a gun I would have killed that dog then and there. As it was, I just started picking up rocks and throwing them at her, bawling at the top of my lungs. I'm surprised no one called the police. My husband came out running and led me to the house and gave me something for nerves.

This dog was never meant to be around chickens to begin with, but now that she's had her taste of blood I don't think she can ever be re-trained, even if my husband works extra hard with her (which he promised to do many times but never did). And it ain't never gonna work between me and her. I never thought I'd hate an animal, but I hate this dog with all my heart. My chickens are my babies, I raised most of them from an egg, and I love them so much I told my husband I'm willing to give them up - if he won't give up the dog - so they can have a better, safer home someplace else. I could keep them locked up in the coop, of course, but that seems cruel in the long run.

Lately we've had a turning point which is very promising for me. We are moving to an area where we can still keep chickens but wouldn't need a guard dog anymore. Please, please give me some advice on how I can convince my husband to get rid of the dog. I already mentioned to him how much we'd save on dog food, vet bills, tick collars etc, and how he won't have all the hassle with always walking the dog and training her (he is really busy, and I've refused to come anywhere near the dog since I'm pregnant).

If you love dogs, please don't hate me, either. I think the dog will be happier someplace else, too.

UPDATE: The dog was found dead in our yard a short time after I wrote this (no, I didn't do it). See update on page 10.

Last edited:
This is a no win situation right now. If you are keeping the dog, then you need an enclosed run for the chickens or a fence for the dog. This dog will keep killing chickens, and you will keep getting upset and stressed while pregnant (not good).The dog is not evil, it's just a dog, some have very high prey drives, and if he hasn't been taught differently than it isn't his fault. As long as he has access to you birds, you are going to lose them. If your husband isn't willing to rehome the dog, then either the dog or the chickens are going to need a fence to separate them, that is the only thing that will stop it. I'm sorry you are faced with such a stressful situation. Retraining a dog that has already killed several chickens will be very tough and take time and patience with the animal, which it doesn't sound like you have right now. My only recommendation is a fence, maybe portable hoop style pen for the chickens that you can move around and doesn't have to have fence poles in the ground. Good luck.

Sorry for your loss. I agree with Abserbean that the dog needs to be kept separate from the chickens. While you said fencing was not possible because of the rocky soil, have you considered electric net fencing? They have small 5/8" thick fiberglass posts with a 6" spike at bottom that you step on to drive it into the ground. I have had good luck with these fences in all types of soil types.

Free ranging always exposes the chickens to attack, whether that comes from your dog, someone else's dog, or cats, raccoons, coyotes, snakes, skunks, possums, mountain lions, bears, bobcat, hawks, eagles and the list goes on. I had to compromise in free ranging due to losses by predators. They could have their freedom, but I would have lost them all to predators. So I fenced in a half acre for them, and now they have a nice area to forage in, and more importantly, they are safe from land based predators, and I have not had any losses since the electric fence went in.

I have four dogs and a whole bunch of chickens that free range. Two of the dogs are dobermans. One I know for sure would kill the chickens "if" he could get close enough to them. I have no fenced in area for the dogs either. It's your job to either keep the chickens away from the dog or vice versa. It's all about prey drive in a dog. I don't mean to come off rude but the dog should have been trained to begin with otherwise keep them apart.
Are the chickens just getting too close to the dog while he's on the run or was he loose? My chickens don't go near the dogs when they are on the runs. This seems to be why the shelters are full of good dogs.

Train the dog not to kill chickens. If my dogs do not kill chickens at some point in their careers, then they often so not take guarding same birds later very seriously. The "prey-drive" is manageable and can even be turned off towards even after numerous kills. You and spouse will have to step up and begin working on control of dog then its relationship to chickens. It can still kill everything else and be OK.

I think the point is, OP doesn't want the dog. She wants her husband to give it up. My question for you, OP, is - are you willing to give up your beloved chickens so your husband can have his dog, as you are expecting him to give up his beloved dog for your chickens? If you are both willing to work on training the dog, I believe compromise can be reached.

I'd forget about trying to talk hubby into getting rid of the dog and get an electric training collar for the dog instead. A unit such as a Dogtra can be worn all day and recharged at night. It will mean that someone (you) will have to watch the dog with the sender in your hand and give him a jolt when he makes a move towards the birds. It can also be used to teach him the limits of your new yard or anything else you want.

I'm going to take a slightly different stance, but here goes. PLEASE REHOME THE DOG. Not for your sake, but for the dog's. The thing is, dogs are incredibly perceptive when it comes to reading their owners. Their ability to read body language, facial expressions, and tone of voice is astonishing. Your dog knows you hate it. Imagine if you lived in a home where not only were you isolated from your family (dog lives outside), but one of your family members hated you. How happy would you be in that situation? It isn't fair to the dog to keep it in a home like that.

Please understand I'm not blaming you or accusing you of anything. I COMPELTELY understand why you hate this dog. I could even understand if you had shot the dog by now. But the time, energy, and love that it would take to re-train this dog (starting with it's trust in you) is beyond what you're willing to do (that's pretty clear from your post). And that's okay. Animals ARE like people in a lot of ways - sometimes the relationships just don't click. My mom has a cat that I can't stand. The cat knows it and hates me right back. Even if I tried to befriend it now, no amount of treats or petting is ever going to convince that cat that I like it. Dogs are generally much more forgiving and willing to trust - but only when it's genuine. That ship has long since sailed between you and this dog.

But if your husband loves the dog, then the only way he will give it up is if you can make him understand that YOU hate this dog. That your relationship with the dog is miserable for the both of you. You are suffering. The dog is suffering. The dog is only going to continue to act out and things will get worse. Like I said, dogs are incredibly perceptive. It is entirely possible that the dog is so violent towards your chickens because it is jealous of the attention that they get from you and he doesn't. And from your dog's perspective - they've stolen his person (you), his yard (territory), AND his food (eating from his dish). That's a lot for a dog to handle. And that's a whole different reason for killing chickens than chasing 'squeaky toys' for fun. It's also REALLY important that you understand jealousy-based violence because you're pregnant. I'm not saying your dog would go so far as to harm your baby, but if it was ME - no way I'd keep that dog once the baby arrived.

If he loves the dog then he will want the dog to be in the best home possible and that just isn't yours. When it has reached a point that you're throwing rocks at the dog, then it has become abusive towards the animal. I'm not blaming or judging you - just stating a fact. Your husband may resist letting the dog go, but if he understands anything about dog psychology, then he should realize this is a no-win situation. And if he truly loves the dog then he should understand that it will be happier somewhere else - and he needs to let it go.

I'm not judging, blaming, or criticizing you in ANY way, I promise! I really do get why you hate the dog. I just also see it from the dog's perspective. He deserves a happy home just as you do. I wish you all the best in the world and hope that it all gets worked out. Sending you hugs...

I don't know where you are but as you can see I am in TN and the dog is more than welcome here. First off dogs are social animals, they need their pack which is the family rather than being chained up bored to death. Dogs espically these breeds need stimulation and a job to do and it cannot protect your home, family and property when tied to a chain. Having bred, raised and trained both GSD and Malinois I have years of experience with strong working drives. Sorry but not being able to confine the dog is an excuse, we live on top of a mountian, talk about rock, we has 3 dog runs over 50 foot long and yes we had to core drill some of the post holes but it was done. I think the OP needs a stuffed dog - sorry no insult meant but it is apparent she is not a dog person. Personally I am an animal person no matter what the animal.

My chickens free range with the goats, donkeys and cattle in their area, the dogs have their own.

Back
Top Bottom