Dog used pullets as a toy.. Help!

I only have those two so I dont think they will get pecked and I don't have any peroxide, but I have neosporen. and I don't know where to begin on the skin. Let me put it this way they look like turkens but the skin on the front is still on I think. I'm scared to touch them. and no pet carrier. or cage. I never thought this kind of thing would happen. I guess I'm a bad mom.

scrach that I do have a pet carrier!!! I'll go get um right now! you're not going to believe this but I think they are doing better. They wouldn't move really or open their eyes but now they opened them and turned their heads to look at me.
If they survive how will their necks heal? and should I try and see if they will drink or eat? Is there anything else I can do? Besides stitch them up and clean the wounds?

25404_149.jpg

Last edited:
Clip all the feathers around the wound, take a closer photo of the wound so we can see how deep it is, whatever you decide to do (stitch/ superglue), don't shut it completely, leave a little gap.

Please don't call me crule but it's really late here, well actually really earily and I'm going to try and get some sleep. As for how deep it looks like all the skin was taken off, and its just hte meat there, no bone or veins that I can see. and I just put them in the crate and I think I should let them alone. I will post after I get up on how they are doing. In fact I think I will take them to see my Grandpa, he;s me chicken man, he'll know what to do.

When my girl was attacked by my dog, we cleaned the wounds with betadine scrub (peroxide can slow healing and is harder on tissues), closed superficial wounds with superglue,left punctures open, and put her on antibiotics. I used injectable penacillin at the time, but there may be something better and easier for you to give.( Keep in mind that any kind of topical cream you use may actually attract dust and dirt to the wound). I kept her in a crate in the garage to protect her from flies and the other hens while she was healing. She was pretty badly hurt and always had a limp, but she did heal and went back to laying.

As for training your dog that what she did was bad, you really have to have caught her in the act. Punishing her after the fact will just confuse her.

Good luck!

25404_169.jpg

25404_168.jpg

They seem to be better, unless I'm in denial. I got one to drink water. They didn't want food, or maybe they are just too weak to move. The poor things even layed eggs today. One opens her eyes and she moved away from me and made a scared noise. I think she'll make it but they other one barely opens her eyes.

oh my goodness!
sad.png
Poor birds!!

have you cleaned them up at all or were these pics after it just happened?

You've gotten some great advice - now its up to you to take care of them (or your grandfather). These birds dont deserve to suffer. I know you're trying to do the best you can, but they deserve medical attention at the very least sweetie; they cant stay like that, thats not right.

You have a decision to make here - either tend to them as they need to be or put them down - they shouldnt suffer.
sad.png

I'm sorry your pup got ahold of them...

I definitely recommend getting an antibiotic for them! Feed stores and vet supply stores usually can be very helpful with this (and it is usually fairly cheap). I usually use Aureomycin with great success (and I think it cost $7)! Just make sure it is a broad-spectrum antibiotic (kills multiple types of bacteria). At the very minimum put some neosporin on it regularly! Poor babies! Chickens can heal quickly if given the proper treatment. One of my girls got attacked and had a 2.5 inch diameter chunk of skin removed. She healed up nicely and refeathered over it. Keep them inside and definitely make sure flies stay away! Flies will try to leave eggs and maggots can become a serious, usually lethal, problem!

Back
Top Bottom