Doggo Tricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Happster

Happs
Apr 5, 2020
Cloud Nine
I have a three year old border collie/Labrador cross.
Well I've taught her some tricks, but I'm really wondering if there are any cool dog trick ideas out there.
I don't want the 'sit', 'lie', 'stay'.
I'm talking about teaching your dog to do something unusual or fun. What tricks has everyone taught their dogs?

The following are tricks I have taught my doggo;

Sit.
Lie.
Stay. (Need to work on...)
Come. (Also need to work on...)
Crate time!
Leave it.
Up! (She jumps onto a bed, sofa, ect or runs up the stairs depending on where I point)
Down. (Both to stop her jumping up at people, and to get her off the bed. - some problems getting her off the bed when she wants to stay 🤣)
Jump. (I point to a fence and she hops over it like a horse)
Spin! (Cute little doggo twirl)
Open the door! (Usually only works when she can bop the door open with her nose)
Look to your right! (She hasn't been taught left yet)
Fetch, bring it here. (She has also successfully done this when I've dropped a treat and asked her to bring it to me, intact)
Catch! (Catches toys, biscuits, ect, usually successfully)
Roll over. (Terribly done, usually she barely rolls onto her stomach. Still cute)
Apologize (Licks hands - often if she's been a bit rough and accidentally bitten too hard.)
Slowly. (She stops pulling on the leash and looks at me)
Focus/Look (looks at me)
@KDOGG331 come and talk to me about dogs.

In case anyone wants to see the little brainy stinker, here she is. She's been super easy to train.

Attachments

• IMG_20200808_125744.jpg
    IMG_20200808_125744.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 20
She’s a cutie :love

If you type in dog tricks on YouTube there’s tons of videos that will come up both of tutorials for tricks and of trick videos/compilations or whatever people have done with their dogs. Might give you some ideas. :)

I will dig up some of the videos I like lol

There is also a book I got a while ago called 101 Dog Tricks or something like that that I thought was good. It had lots of tricks and breaks it down by difficulty and gives the steps and pictures and stuff. Might be worth getting.

Wow, thanks! Puppyhood is over, Orla.
Hard work begins today.

I was making her weave in and out of sticks today. 🤣 She was well paid in biscuits for her efforts though.
That’s awesome!!! :D pretty soon she’ll be just like those doggos with knowing tons of tricks! :D seems like she already knows a fair amount though! :D

Also sorry for all the videos 😂🤣🙈

That’s awesome!!! :D pretty soon she’ll be just like those doggos with knowing tons of tricks! :D seems like she already knows a fair amount though! :D

Also sorry for all the videos 😂🤣🙈
Border collies were always my favourite. I was happy to get a BC cross.
I didn't realize just how easy she'd be to train. I spent five minutes teaching her to shake paws. (I forgot. She knows shake, high five, wave) I had no idea what I was doing. She was my first dog and I'd never taught a dog any tricks before. Thankfully she is very food motivated.

Not at all, the videos will be helpful. More excuses to binge watch dog videos, I guess. Thank you!

Border collies were always my favourite. I was happy to get a BC cross.
I didn't realize just how easy she'd be to train. I spent five minutes teaching her to shake paws. (I forgot. She knows shake, high five, wave) I had no idea what I was doing. She was my first dog and I'd never taught a dog any tricks before. Thankfully she is very food motivated.

Not at all, the videos will be helpful. More excuses to binge watch dog videos, I guess. Thank you!
I love Border Collies!! They’re awesome dogs!! I’ve always wanted one haha that and/or an Aussie. :D But I have lots of breeds I want. Soooo many. 😂🤣🙈🙈

She sounds like an amazing dog though!! :love :love

And I’m happy to provide more binge watching content! :D 😂

We have had a couple of border collies. They trained quite well but we didn't teach them any "tricks". One liked to herd my son who was a toddler at the time. The other one would try to herd the chickens. Now we have a German shepherd, and she is not training well at all. My husband has spent so much time with her but she will not stay or come if we let her off the leash. The two main things she needs to be able to do. We don't know if German Shepherds learn different than BCs, but it is just not working with her. He is very frustrated with her.

I also have a little poodle/papillon mix. She is good at standing on her hind legs. If we tell her to dance (for a treat of course) she stands up on her hind legs and twirls. If I say "up" she can jump into my arms.

We have had a couple of border collies. They trained quite well but we didn't teach them any "tricks". One liked to herd my son who was a toddler at the time. The other one would try to herd the chickens. Now we have a German shepherd, and she is not training well at all. My husband has spent so much time with her but she will not stay or come if we let her off the leash. The two main things she needs to be able to do. We don't know if German Shepherds learn different than BCs, but it is just not working with her. He is very frustrated with her.

I also have a little poodle/papillon mix. She is good at standing on her hind legs. If we tell her to dance (for a treat of course) she stands up on her hind legs and twirls. If I say "up" she can jump into my arms.
Is he just turning her loose and trying it or has he tried putting her on a longer leash first? Dogs don’t typically generalize well so even though they may “know” it so to speak in a sterile room with no distractions, they may not know it when you start adding distractions or move outside, etc. I know it’s probably hard because Border Collies are super smart and just “get it” but most other dogs need training in different environments. I know you’ve said he’s spent a lot of time with her but I would try getting her a long line and working with that. And also slowly add in the distractions. Maybe you could even try off leash or the long line indoors first? If you have enough room. That way it might make the transition easier. And you can start with just a slightly longer leash and build up to the really long ones so it feels like she’s off leash but she’s not haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom