dogs, and chicken poop.....

miss_thenorth

Songster
12 Years
Dec 28, 2007
SW Ont, Canada
Ok--went to the barn tonight to clean the horse stalls, and say Hi to my hens. My dogs bolted past me and were waiting impatiently at the barn door Tthe hens were walking all around the barn, and the dogs bolted right past them--basically pushed the hens out of the way and started eating all the poop off of the floor. Is there any harm in dogs eating this stuff? Other than the yuck factor--should I be discouraging this b/c it might be harmful? Just curious.....

Hahaha my dogs love all kinds of farm animal poo - especially the fresh horse excrement. Provided you keep your dogs on a regular deworming program, you shouldn't have any issues with this habit.

My friend is a vet and she said that it is not great for them but as long as the chickens are not sick then it should not be a problem. Still you should try to get them to stop, but I have no idea how to other than a muzzle with a poop cup in it.

Good Luck!

Whew!! I am glad I am not the only one who's dogs eat chicken poop! It is hard to get them to stop. I have tried everything that I know.
Look at the bright side, maybe we won't have to buy dog food ever again!! LOL..LOL

Quote:
And here i just thought i had weird dogs... All of my dogs love horse and chicken poop, and the horse hoove trimings. Those things are all so gross i have no idea why they are so appealing to them...

Well didn't you all know that chicken poop is the new and improved dog food!!
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

My dogs eat it too, but my dogs will eat the chicken food and scratch feed to.

Back
Top Bottom