Dogs and welping????

No. Dogs go into heat about every six months which is "about" four months after giving birth. I have had dozens of litters of puppies over the years, and it would be an amazingly obscure happening for a dog to be bred 8wks postpartum. It just doesn't happen in normal circumstances.

A canine is a canine no matter what size. Small and large dogs cycle the same - on the average - every 6 months...some go longer in between, some shorter. A cat's heat is seasonal. They come into heat in the spring and cycle every 21 days or so, until they are bred, and can come into heat again while they are nursing a litter. Cats can have several litters per year. They don't cycle anything like a dog. Cat's are in heat for a few days - dogs are in heat approx. 21 days and are 'accepting' of a male for only about 5-7 of those 21 days. I would have to say that the possibility of this female being pregnant again is about zero. I hope I don't step on any toes, but if this person is planning on breeding this female again so soon - they aren't thinking much of their dog. It takes time for a female dog's body to recover from whelping and nursing for 6-8 weeks.... If they are breeding every heat cycle (which is what it sounds like the goal is), it sounds like they are interested in the almighty $ rather than the health of the mom and puppies.

Last edited:
i agree with mamabird...
and they are breeding MUTTS!!!! ???? why:rolleyes:????

anyway... no i dont think she is pregnant again... dogs come into heat anywhere from 4-12 months,, they dont automatically recycle after they give birth like some animals do..
i also think if the owners dont know.. then they should NOT be breeding at all...

HORSES can be re-bred 3 day after foaling.. it is called a "foal heat" and even tho i dont agree with it... it can be done...

Quote:
from OP,it sounds like they are giving the pups away,(so not breeding for money) and wanted to get the dog spayed,but thought she was bred again..I dont think the are evil people,just ignorant of some basic doggie facts,and yes,the best thing would be to get her spayed,but it sounds like that is there intention

It would be very very unusual (trying not to say impossible, but yeah) for her to go into heat that soon again. As previously stated dogs cycles run on average every six months some every 4.5 months and some breeds only once a year.

A word of caution: if the male dog is so interested in her it could be a sign of infection in the reproductive tract of the female. The smell of infection seems to be the very similar to the smell of the fertile portion of the heat cycle. The only time I have ever seen a male try to mount a female so soon after pups is when she had pyometria or another infection. So keep an eye on her.

I do not know the breeders at all. They work with my aunt at a hospital. I don't think they know much about breeding dogs, but I can't really tell them anything because I don't know them.
So I will not be waiting for a puppy from them and so I can continue my search for a boston terrier instead.
big_smile.png
(A free non-sheading small dog woould have been nice though
wink.png
)

L&Schickens :

I do not know the breeders at all. They work with my aunt at a hospital. I don't think they know much about breeding dogs, but I can't really tell them anything because I don't know them.
So I will not be waiting for a puppy from them and so I can continue my search for a boston terrier instead.
big_smile.png
(A free non-sheading small dog woould have been nice though
wink.png
)

Keep in mind - just because it is a poodle mix, doesn't mean that it won't shed. There are a lot of mixed up -oodle breeds in pounds right now because people 'thought' they would be non-shedding or hypo-allergenic, but they aren't. Pounds and rescue groups are great places to find a dog, but don't overlook reputable breeders. You may have to pay for a dog, but if you do your research, you should know exactly what you are getting. Call breeders and don't be afraid to ask questions. I breed labs, and if potential buyers don't ask questions - that's a red flag for me. A good breeder won't hesitate to talk with you, answer any questions you may have, and let you look and interact with their dogs. Good luck finding a new buddy!​

Last edited:
yes they can. They certainly can. Once those pups start in on puppy food which most people introduce a little when theyre 4-6 weeks old that dog can get pregnant again.

its happened before quite often. I know iam not crazy- my aunt and a friend both had such an experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Keep in mind - just because it is a poodle mix, doesn't mean that it won't shed. There are a lot of mixed up -oodle breeds in pounds right now because people 'thought' they would be non-shedding or hypo-allergenic, but they aren't. Pounds and rescue groups are great places to find a dog, but don't overlook reputable breeders. You may have to pay for a dog, but if you do your research, you should know exactly what you are getting. Call breeders and don't be afraid to ask questions. I breed labs, and if potential buyers don't ask questions - that's a red flag for me. A good breeder won't hesitate to talk with you, answer any questions you may have, and let you look and interact with their dogs. Good luck finding a new buddy!

They are a poodle X Schnauzer. Schnauzers are non-shedders.
big_smile.png

Thanks for all the new info everyone.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom