Dogs? Good or bad?

Duck Love07 AR

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 8, 2013
Trumann Arkansas
I am a bird and cat kind of person but my boyfriend is a dog man. The last dog we tried I had to make him give away because it was aggressive to my birds and I was scared he would hurt them. We are getting a new place and my boyfriend wants another dog. I am against anything that is going to hurt my babies so I don't really want one. If it kills my birds it is a dead dog and then he'll never for give me. How do I go about solving this so we are both happy?

Dogs are a lot like toddlers. You have to take the time to civilize them. If you don't and they misbehave it is YOUR fault, not theirs.

If you are going to get a dog then both you and your boyfriend are going to have to make the commitment to serious dog training. First basic training then bird training/impulse control training. You will need to work on it EVERY DAY for a long time. It has to be both of you and it has to be very consistent with the same words and commands and commitments from both of you.

You will need to make sure that you have a way to keep the dog and the birds separate until you can work with your dog -- you have to give your dog the right tools to behave how you want it to. If the dog gets a bird it is really not his fault.

A well trained dog can be wonderful. I can not imagine my day-to-day without my dogs. I have 4 dogs and 6 birds in the yard together and have never had a problem. But, a poorly trained dog is a disaster.

Last edited:
If you forbide him to have a dog, how is it then right
for you to have a cat or a bird? For a union between
a man and woman to work, you have to accept each
other as equal...neither one above the other.

I have a house dog. And I hate house dogs. But my wife
wanted it. And I love my wife with a passion. And this is
her home too. That being said, I understand why I have
a house dog. (It even minds somewhat)

My dog lives outside. Hates thunder storms. Tries to break
in the house with me. Just a junk cur dog. But he's my buddy.
He don't bother no chickens. He did kill a duck. But the duck
was bothering him. Wouldn't leave the dog alone.

And I understand why my dog did the duck in. Not mad at the
dog.

But my wife...my wife is very much my equal.

Spook....who has had his wife a LONG time.

This is Paris, a Great Pyrenees. She was given to me because she killed chickens. Look at her now! It took 2 years to turn her around. So, don't let bad habits get started and you won't have to spend time re-training. Puppies of all breeds love to play and may very well "play" with chickens to death. They are the ultimate squeaky toy. So puppies must be supervised and taught what they can and can't do. Let the man have his dog.

Agreed! I have had chickens three years. I have had a dog 1.4 years. I did a LOT of research before getting a mixed herding breed/flock guardian mix puppy. He is a good guardian, and now at 1.4 years old, he is doing well with the chickens. I brought him in the coop with me as soon as he learned "sit" and "stay", about 4 months old, and had him always sit on a feed bag in the same place every day while I fed the chickens. I only brought him in with the older hens who weren't likely to have a hissy fit. (Young birds squawk and look like fun to chase as a pup...) He now guards them when they are out in the garden, even barking at hawks to keep them away. Will herd them in for me (he is still young, so I am careful, but we have worked HARD on obedience training!) and is pleased with himself when he does a good job. We had one "chick" accident...a chick was stuck behind some wood, and he helped by pulling it out. Not a drop of blood, but he killed it by mistake and laid it at my feet completely whole, but dead. I expected more losses after talking to folks who keep dogs, but obedience is key. But you can't expect a dog bred for hunting birds to be a great bird guard, so do your homework! Also remember, a tired dog is an obedient one, and I exercise mine heavily before doing training with the chickens. After 2 yrs it will be less work, and I will have a GREAT dog. You can, too!

Spook, if your dog is your buddy and he hates thunderstorms that much, let him in the house 'til it passes. Please. He'd do the same for you.
If you forbide him to have a dog, how is it then right
for you to have a cat or a bird? For a union between
a man and woman to work, you have to accept each
other as equal...neither one above the other.

I have a house dog. And I hate house dogs. But my wife
wanted it. And I love my wife with a passion. And this is
her home too. That being said, I understand why I have
a house dog. (It even minds somewhat)

My dog lives outside. Hates thunder storms. Tries to break
in the house with me. Just a junk cur dog. But he's my buddy.
He don't bother no chickens. He did kill a duck. But the duck
was bothering him. Wouldn't leave the dog alone.

And I understand why my dog did the duck in. Not mad at the
dog.

But my wife...my wife is very much my equal.

Spook....who has had his wife a LONG time.

Back
Top Bottom