Dogs...

Here you go. To find out how to report it in your county, search "(name of county) dog kill livestock" and you should find some guidance. In my county there's a dog incident form to be filled out.

As for Oregon-wide laws, this is what you're entitled to. The page lists other applicable laws.

https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/609.140

It says:

(1) The owner of any livestock which has been damaged by being injured, chased, wounded or killed by any dog shall have a cause of action against the owner of such dog for the damages resulting therefrom, including double the value of any livestock killed and double the amount of any damage to the livestock.
(2) If one or more of several dogs owned by different persons participate in damaging any livestock, the owners of the respective dogs shall be jointly and severally liable under this section. The owners of dogs jointly or severally liable under this section have a right of contribution among themselves. The right exists only in favor of an owner who has paid more than the pro rata share of the owner, determined by dividing the total damage by the number of dogs involved, of the common liability, and the total recovery of the owner is limited to the amount paid by the owner in excess of the pro rata share of the owner.
(3) An action brought under this section may be tried as an action at law in any court of competent jurisdiction.
(4) As used in this section:
(a) “Owner” means the head of the family of the home where the dog is cared for at the time of the damage.
(b) “Head of the family” means any person who has charge or manages the affairs of a collective body of persons residing together, the relations between whom are of a permanent and domestic character. [Amended by 1973 c.655 §7; 1975 c.749 §1]
@Willow2253 focus along this line, not the drama. Do not get side tracked by the "what ifs" and comparisons with loss to wildlife. Now check your county statutes.

In the end you must work to prevent repeats involving dogs in general. More likely than not, that will require some form of fencing. Still try to get money for losses incurred, but do it in a calm and structured manner. If dogs come back, then shoot them to kill. But keep level head.

I have gone through your situation myself more than once. You need to start working on a reputation, one that is positive with your neighbors as a whole. Be one, not an outsider seeing faults in the local good old boys.

I'm so sorry you came home to this.

You have been given excellent advice. It is a shame the owners of the dogs laughed at you--especially if, as I understand what you wrote, they picked the dogs up as they ran away from your property! Sigh. Why some folks cannot exhibit a little basic kindness and respect for others...I love dogs, miss my own dearly (just looked down at his "spot" and got a little choked up, and he has been gone for nearly eight months now), but they need to be under the control of their owners...and the owners are responsible for their actions, particularly something like this.

Again, very sorry. Best of luck with the police and your local laws, and I hope this can be settled somehow amicably or at least peacefully. @centrarchid has the right idea--stay cool, calm, and collected; don't let emotion get the better of you.

Gosh that's awful, I'm so sorry. I love love love dogs - I want all the dogs - and I know my dogs would defend my life with their own, but that also goes for me as the pet owner, I'll defend my pets' lives, too. I would be devastated to come home and find something like that. You have every right to defend your birds from predators. Maybe it's time to install some fencing?
Is that to keep the dogs out or her chickens in? Or what they came onto her property yet she is being punished more and that is always the way it is with bird owners against dogs because you cannot get around their own nature that God instilled in them. Birds will always lose against dogs. She knows all these things I believe already.

I hope you took a lot of pictures. If you see the dogs on your property again get a picture.

It's been several years ago, a BYC member was being plagued by a neighborhood dog. As I recall she did talk with the owner and he denied it was his dog so the next time it came on her property and went after her birds she shot it with a paintball. I don't remember what happened after that. Good luck...
Now that's a great idea!! No denying it was their dog on your property.

I have a neighbor who is the same way. She is rude and alot crazy she watches us has killed about 24 of our chicken but the only proof we had was human and dog tracks going over to her property. So we couldn't charge her. She call my dogs over to her property and leaves leftovers out attracting skunks and other animals. She states her dog is a trained therapy dog when it attached my dog nearly killing it and tried to attach my my 2 children then she called the police in me saying I needed to be locked up for yelling at her. She has a lond and killed the frogs and tadpoles in it and dumps them in tge woods. She tells at my dogs and sends her dog over to my property to tge point where my dogs had to be watched every time they go outside. So I do get it the only advice I have put up hunting cameras. And if you see the dogs come over take lots if pictures.

The owners admit it was their dogs. They’re taking responsibility for that at least. The wife came over a little while ago and said that she wanted to make it right, but I don’t know what that’s going to entail yet. The husband was the one brushing it off last night, but at least she is willing to admit this is their problem too.

Back
Top Bottom