Dogs...

We called the sheriff’s department the morning after, they finally sent someone to take our statements today and they’re going to cite the owners, then once that’s done we can either have them reimburse us out of court or we can take them to small claims.
Oh so glad to hear that! My prayers are with you!! I bet they’ll settle out of court

My girl had a chunk of skin the size of a fist gone from her side/hip area, it healed up completely in 2 months without stitches, I dident want to put triple antibiotic ointment on it everyday because she would always end up getting it dirt and I would have to clean it. I ket it dry up and it turned into kindove leathery, it was closed up about half way in a month and it was leathery and brownish so the others wouldn't pack it. Dont know if it was the best thing to do but it saved me alot of time, I also dident want to keep disturbing the wound, I probably made it take 2-3 weeks longer to heal because I was using hydrogen peroxide to clean it for 2 weeks before I was told it would make the wound take longer to heal. The neighbors dog got out again today, I was fishing about an hour away when the owners texted us. Luckily some of our very nice neighbors came over to watch the chickens for 30 min before my sister got home to put them away. I will not trust them to move or keep their dogs in so now I'm going to invest in an electric fence. Maybe make them an offer, they also pay for you to get an electric fence and they dont have to get rid of the dogs, they still have to pay for chickens but they can keep their dogs. Dont go super expensive mabey just $100 or so, then it will also be good for coyotes, dogs, foxes etc. This might not work for you or you might just want the dogs gone just an idea.

My girl had a chunk of skin the size of a fist gone from her side/hip area, it healed up completely in 2 months without stitches, I dident want to put triple antibiotic ointment on it everyday because she would always end up getting it dirt and I would have to clean it. I ket it dry up and it turned into kindove leathery, it was closed up about half way in a month and it was leathery and brownish so the others wouldn't pack it. Dont know if it was the best thing to do but it saved me alot of time, I also dident want to keep disturbing the wound, I probably made it take 2-3 weeks longer to heal because I was using hydrogen peroxide to clean it for 2 weeks before I was told it would make the wound take longer to heal. The neighbors dog got out again today, I was fishing about an hour away when the owners texted us. Luckily some of our very nice neighbors came over to watch the chickens for 30 min before my sister got home to put them away. I will not trust them to move or keep their dogs in so now I'm going to invest in an electric fence. Maybe make them an offer, they also pay for you to get an electric fence and they dont have to get rid of the dogs, they still have to pay for chickens but they can keep their dogs. Dont go super expensive mabey just $100 or so, then it will also be good for coyotes, dogs, foxes etc. This might not work for you or you might just want the dogs gone just an idea.
Here is a pic of the injury, also had a 2-3 inch long by half an inch wide cut on her back. Bloody from the other injured ones pecking it after she got into their part of the barn.

Attachments

• 2158235-5de85e6a0e0e197fff3b436d0f07c008.jpg
    2158235-5de85e6a0e0e197fff3b436d0f07c008.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 7
The only thing that has work for us, is setting our selves up not to have to depend on others doing the right thing. Sad, but it has been the best decision of what we spend our time focusing on, and have been the most long term productive. That has been expanding our fencing a little every year and getting our LGD.s Even with fencing. we had a new neighbors dog, young enough and size to be able to squeeze under the main gate space off the ground. For snow reasons we can't put the main gate on the ground. Our Dog jumped the back property fence and constantly alerted immediately to chase them right back out within seconds of entering.

105687941_3620254634670472_6711596686691128875_o.jpg

My heart goes out to you! I've had chickens killed by neighbor dogs but the owners Always made it right. It's bad enough losing your animals without having to deal with unfeeling dog owners. I wish you the best!:( So sorry you have to go through this!

Hi all, I thought I would post an update now that this is finally over with. I ended up taking this case to small claims and my court date was today. I won the case, but I ended up with a judge that clearly doesn’t know much about chickens and severely undervalued them. I tried to explain how I had factored in the loss of egg production from my hens and how much it was going to cost to grow out new chicks to laying age, but I guess I hadn’t made myself clear enough, and he decided each one was only worth $10, even after I told him the one I had bought as an adult was $40. Don’t make the same mistake I did if you ever end up in this situation, be clear on how and why your chickens are worth more than 2 cartons of eggs.

Back
Top Bottom