Dogs!!!!

I have to say what is done is done I rather think you know your mistake and those who chastise you are ignorant too so as one person said I think her username was annaposa. SHOCK COLLAR time. we all live and learn and dont listen to small minded people My best

yea that's too bad. i had a chicken that i could call like a dog. my girlfriend let my dogs out and forgot about them and we left. when she came back my dogs had chewed into the coop and killed my chickens. i really loved my chickens. they are very therapeutic to sit and be with and watch them scratch and eat bugs in the yard. i had an awesome chicken. one would almost break her neck to come to me when i went into the yard. she would jump up and eat mealworms out of my fingers. she was top chicken.

I just came home to the same scene described by several here. My dog...a rescued local stray that looks like every other broad mix in every country I've seen...is great at obeying commands when I'm around, doesn't charge the chickens, appears disinterested in them from the other side of the fence. But killed one months ago. Then a new rooster a week ago. Then everyone, today--by breaking through the fence that she'd previously seemed to ignore. I had set her up with a new run line but apparently screwed up attaching the leash to her collar...don't know why and am flagellating myself like crazy for not double checking it...

Anyhow...I love the dog, and love the two (possibly, as yet) surviving chickens, and plan to get another flock once i've reinforced all the walls and fences. I did have chicken wire alone and will not do that again. Does anyone have experience with training a dog (not killing to eat them, just from dogness) once she's developed a taste for chasing birds? She clearly knew she'd done wrong...when I walked toward the coop she ran the other way, before I realized anything was wrong. Do I just get rid of her, knowing that there will always be some day that something goes wrong, and hope she gets a good life elsewhere?

I'm in awe of Hayleigh's dog and duck picture...well done, that!

Any recs, or anyone in San Antonio that wants an otherwise sweet dog?

Heart breaking, the amount of suffering. I'm sorry that I'm going to be really blunt, but I feel the need to be a voice for the birds whose lives are in our hands, in the hopes that others reading this will take extreme care when choosing to keep predators and prey in close proximity. The first killing months back was ample warning. Then the roo was killed a few weeks ago - shouldn't have happened since it was known the dog had killed before, but was another warning that access to the birds by the dog needed to be impossible. The massacre after that was an innocent mistake that can and should serve to help every reader see clearly that containment of one or the other species or both has to have back up systems to compensate for the occasional yet inevitable innocent human error. Because we are dealing with predator and prey when we choose to have dogs in close proximity to birds, we have to double and triple the protective barriers so that if there is a breach (and with Murphy's Law alive and well, there will at some point be a breach) , there is no tragedy. Being torn to shreds is a grizzly horrific terrifying - and unacceptable - way to die. As has been said countless times here on BYC, chicken wire keeps chickens in but does nothing to keep predators out.
sad.png
I just wish everyone would do their research before taking in living beings.
sad.png
ibongopongo, you are one of many who have had dogs kill their birds so this is really directed at all, not you in particular. We all need to do better.

In answer to your question, that dog can NEVER EVER be trusted with birds. No amount of training should make anyone at ease with subjecting even one more bird to that dog. EVER. Because no matter how determined your efforts - and I'm sure they would be very well intentioned and determined - you can't be certain beyond a shadow of a doubt that instinct won't win out. Anything you can do to help others take measures to keep their birds safer will be a tribute to the ones who lost their lives. JJ

Last edited:
Dogs can be taught not to make a mess in the house, come when called, understand "No" "Sit" "Stay", and many other realities of life. They can be taught that chickens do not exist in their world. We had 3 golden retrievers growing up that hunted pheasants and we taught them that the pheasants on the farm were "off limits". We didn't have a single incident for the 8 years we raised pheasants. My current dog doesn't pay any attention to our chickens because I taught him they were not his. It is possible to have both, but it takes effort and consistent (not constant) reinforcement from the "pack" leader.

We just got our first chickens. unfortunately, we may have the same problem. Our German Shepherd couldn't care less about the chicks. Our Shelter dog we adopted acts like someone is letting a million dollars blow around on the ground. We have them right now in the bed room (way too cold outside right now), and the cat came into the room and he chased the cat out immediately as if to say "I SAW THEM FIRST, THEY ARE MINE!". This is going to be a big problem.

I spoke with some guys this weekend who raise chickens for a living. I was told if a dog kills an adult bird to tie the dead chicken around the dogs neck for three days. It sounds like it would work, but only on a rural farm. Old school. In my subdivision I'm sure PETA would be knocking on my door along with the authorities. It is 2014 after all not 1914.

So it looks like this summer when the dogs go outside to do their business, the one will be put on a chain while the chickens are ranging in the backyard.

Jokerone, my suggestion would be to leash the dog and hold'em tight. Then bring the chickens out. Scold the dog whenever the dog even looks at the birds as a look from a dog is a sign of aggression and/or predation. It gets dicey when the birds come closer so you have to be "Johnny on the spot" to correct or restrain the dog. It may take a few "lessons" before you see any results, but if you want to keep them both, it may be worth the effort. You will soon see if the dog will be compatable with the birds and be able to make you decisions from there. This is what I had to do with our dog and have had no problems since. I hope everything works out.

Jokerone, my suggestion would be to leash the dog and hold'em tight. Then bring the chickens out. Scold the dog whenever the dog even looks at the birds as a look from a dog is a sign of aggression and/or predation. It gets dicey when the birds come closer so you have to be "Johnny on the spot" to correct or restrain the dog. It may take a few "lessons" before you see any results, but if you want to keep them both, it may be worth the effort. You will soon see if the dog will be compatable with the birds and be able to make you decisions from there. This is what I had to do with our dog and have had no problems since. I hope everything works out.

this dog had been beaten and starved. he was skin and bones when we rescued him from the shelter. Plus he seems to have been trained as a bird dog because he drops toys at your feet like a bird dog would drop a bird. The biggest problem is unlike our Shep, who couldn't care less about food, this dog is 100 percent driven by food. We can't leave anything down including his food bag or he will eat and eat like a gold fish. That's why I think his problem is primal instinct and its going to be almost impossible to tame. Aside from dressing up in a chicken suit and scaring the crap out of him, I think separation is the only solution. Its just going to be a big pain we should have but didn't expect to have to worry about.

Quote:
Sorry to hear the dog was mistreated. Good luck with your efforts. I wish you all the best.

Dogs can be taught not to make a mess in the house, come when called, understand "No" "Sit" "Stay", and many other realities of life. They can be taught that chickens do not exist in their world. We had 3 golden retrievers growing up that hunted pheasants and we taught them that the pheasants on the farm were "off limits". We didn't have a single incident for the 8 years we raised pheasants. My current dog doesn't pay any attention to our chickens because I taught him they were not his. It is possible to have both, but it takes effort and consistent (not constant) reinforcement from the "pack" leader.

You have been an amazing teacher, and/or your dogs amazing learners, but unfortunately most people are not that determined/successful with their training. If failure to obey just meant a ripped seat cushion or stolen oatmeal cookies it would be one thing, but when dogs fail to behave with chickens, it means pain, suffering and often death. To me, the price is too high to allow a breach/unrestricted contact. Especially if a dog has been known to attack at least once before. JJ

Back
Top Bottom