Doing a Necropsy STARTING NOW (Smudge, Cornish X) Edit: Got histopathology results

Pics
@Weeg, you are awesome. To lose your hen:(, and then do this necropsy for all to view—Thank you. I hope answers come soon. ❤️
Thank you, I'm glad that my loss can be helpful to others, and maybe help other save their hens, or diagnose in the future. Everyone on this thread has played a part as well, so thank you all.

I could never do a necropsy myself. I can do bumblefoot surgery and glove up for egg binding, but not cut one of my birds open. Too wimpy :lau

Weeg, you are spectacular. Thank you so much for posting these pics. I’m so sorry about Smudge. :hugs
I thought the exact same thing about myself. :D Always wanted to do one for the expense, but never thought I actually could. I think this experience has really helped me grow as a chicken owner.
Thank you for your condolences, Smudge will be deeply missed.

I'm so sorry for your loss. You are amazing and thank you so much for starting this tread! I have learned so much, including the fact that I am very unprepared for this aspect of chicken care. I hope you get your answers soon.
Thank you, I will keep everyone updated, this forum is truly the best. I couldn't' have done it without you all.

I have a flock of 7 bantams, and a flock of 6 standard chickens including Doodle. I also have 10 ducks. The last birds I brought home were from TSC for a lone chick I hatched. Before that, I purchased hatching eggs from a BYC seller who had occular Mareks in his flock, and didn’t tell me when he found out. I found out by finding a thread that he posted on here. That, could be were I got this from.
The TSC birds for the chick were when?
The eggs where when?
How long ago for both.

Doodle was a meat bird, Cornish X, bought from TSC too?

The TSC birds for the chick were when?
The eggs where when?
How long ago for both.

Doodle was a meat bird, Cornish X, bought from TSC too?
Lets see, I believe I got the TSC chicks for my lone baby on April 22nd 2021, so about 6 months ago? Then the eggs from the BYC seller arrived April 7th 2021, so a couple weeks before that.
I got a batch of 15 Cornish X, were I would later pick out Doodle and Smudge from, at a local feed store. That was on March 16th 2021.

The sixth standard size chickens are all the same age/bought together?
I'm not entirely sure. Long before BYC we had many flocks of birds, which sadly didn't all survive predator attacks, as we leaned the hard way. Sunshine is a survivor along with Sam our rooster, I would guess they are close to the same age. Sam was "adopted" from a friend of ours since we needed a friendly rooster. We have an RIR New Hampshire Red cross who was purchased at our local feed store, I'm gonna guess about 3-4 years ago? Then our two SLW's were "rescued" from our grandparents house when I brought them home to treat for mites. Quarantined them for 30 days while treating for mites.

Lets see, I believe I got the TSC chicks for my lone baby on April 22nd 2021, so about 6 months ago? Then the eggs from the BYC seller arrived April 7th 2021, so a couple weeks before that.
I got a batch of 15 Cornish X, were I would later pick out Doodle and Smudge from, at a local feed store. That was on March 16th 2021.
This is a hugely informative thread. A great community that learns together. Doesn't get better than that folks 😇
Highly interested to see what the path reveals.

I'm not entirely sure. Long before BYC we had many flocks of birds, which sadly didn't all survive predator attacks, as we leaned the hard way. Sunshine is a survivor along with Sam our rooster, I would guess they are close to the same age. Sam was "adopted" from a friend of ours since we needed a friendly rooster. We have an RIR New Hampshire Red cross who was purchased at our local feed store, I'm gonna guess about 3-4 years ago? Then our two SLW's were "rescued" from our grandparents house when I brought them home to treat for mites. Quarantined them for 30 days while treating for mites.
Thank you for taking the time to do this and for sharing it with us. Your sweet Smudge may be able to help others and what a lovely legacy. I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you for taking the time to do this and for sharing it with us. Your sweet Smudge may be able to help others and what a lovely legacy. I'm sorry for your loss.
Thank you so much for your support and condolences, I really appreciate it. 🤗 I'd like to thank everyone else as well who's posts I haven't replied to, or I missed. All of these condolences make it easier each time. As sad as it is so walk out and see lonely Doodle in her coop, I know we will work past this together, and both be stronger, smarter, and better able to protect the flock and ourselves after this experience. It has helped me grow so much in my chicken keeping, and will change my biosecurity practices greatly. Improving the quality of life and longevity for my birds in the future.
Again, thank you everyone so so much, I couldn't have done it without you. This forum really is a life saver. 💕

Back
Top Bottom