Doing a Necropsy STARTING NOW (Smudge, Cornish X) Edit: Got histopathology results

Pics

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hello everyone, first I'd like to thank everyone to helped me on my thread abbot saving Smudge. Sadly, she couldn't be saved. Her symptoms were very sudden, and heartbreaking. I'll link her thread here if you want to look back on her symptoms, or possible diagnosis of her death. I'm grabbgi supplies now. She died at midnight last night, and has been in a cooler since then. It was 32 degrees going to 48 degrees throughout the day, so she's been cold. I'll post pictures as I go including organs, windpipe and trachea, and bone. Thank you everyone for the help, I'll be starting soon. Going to grab Smudge, and glove up now. Pics coming.

Hi @Weeg
Have you had any results back yet?
I was just going to update on this.
I got a call from the lab yesterday. Sadly I missed it, nothing to exciting they just had some questions as to how to proceed with testing. I called them back and it went to voicemail, so I hope they get the message soon. I asked them to take her to histopathology, thats what the pathologist I talked to on the phone the first time suggested. At least I know she made it in, her remaining pieces. :)
I'll keep you updated, I bet I'll get results soon.

Last edited:
I've not seen LL firsthand, but would agree with Carol (@azygous ) that from all photos and/research I've seen/read, this points to LL.

It will be interesting to see the report once you get the info back from the lab.

I'm very sorry about your loss.

I think you did a good job on the necropsy, you stepped up and did it. I have to admire all our very young community members here on BYC, all of you ROCK! and you inspire me to want to learn more.

No results yet, sadly. But I was able to talk to a friend today who works in one of the labs that does testing for WADDL, and she said they were running father behind than ever in the 30 years she's worked there. So I can expect the results to take some time.
She was pretty fascinated in the story, though didn't have any input on the possible outcome. I'll keep everyone updated, hopefully next time I'll be responding with test results.

Update: Just got her shipped off. I hope I did everything right. We ran around 3 stores looking for some kind of styrofoam cooler or cooler bag, but everyone was sold out. I ended up buying some frozen peas to keep it refrigerated better. Then bought a plasticity reusable shopping bag, stuffed the bird in that with the double bagged frozen peas, and wrapped everything in an additional garbage bag.
Then we bearily got it shipped, and the FedEx guy looked appalled when I told him the box contained animal organs. 🤦‍♀️ Then, he had to flip through about 3 different books trying to figure out if he could ship it. 😝 He said it should arrive by tomorrow, but no promises. It better get there by tomorrow. I’ll keep everyone updated, the pathologist said that he would call us for payment,and contact me if additional testing needs to be done.

Edit: Just fixed all of the grammar/spelling errors in this post, sorry about that. :p I hate those tiny phone keys.

Last edited:
@Weeg, you are awesome. To lose your hen:(, and then do this necropsy for all to view—Thank you. I hope answers come soon. ❤️
Thank you, I'm glad that my loss can be helpful to others, and maybe help other save their hens, or diagnose in the future. Everyone on this thread has played a part as well, so thank you all.

Back
Top Bottom