Doing a Necropsy STARTING NOW (Smudge, Cornish X) Edit: Got histopathology results

Pics
When ordering boot covers, should I get the ones that go all the way up the boot, or just the ones that cover the bottom?
Tall covers- https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-W...=disposable+boot+covers&qid=1637610529&sr=8-8
Short- https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-N...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
I'd say short would be sufficient, but I always err on the side of caution and go overboard with things like this. I didn't look at the links, but if pricing is similar, and you're okay with the tall ones, I'd get the tall ones.

Thank you for sharing this, Weeg, it's been a valuable learning experience. Very interesting. I had lymphoid tumors in my own hen a few years ago and the necropsy was quite a bit different and far more severe than what you saw. Some viral diseases can be so very tricky to diagnose. The fact that they found several criteria of malignancy in some of the cells (that's what they mean by anisocytosis--cells of irregular size and shape--and anisokaryosis--the cell nuclei are irregular in size and shape and some are doubled-- as well as many mitotic cells--cells in the act of dividing) paired with no nerve abnormality makes it pretty clear.
It's great that you sent her in and you have inspired me to do the same should I lose one to something I can't figure out on my own. I hope it helps you to know there was nothing you could have done for her. Again, I am sorry for your loss.
Hi Sue!
When you say 'makes it pretty clear' what do you mean?

That’s what a previous poster said, 1-2 pages ago I believe. I reread the results and noticed it mentioned something other than the liver making them think it was AVL. I then assumed that’s why the possibly of a mycotoxin wasn’t mentioned on the results.
I didn't see that their post.

I will have to have a look back, & read the paper again, & go back to Merck to compare.

Are you planning to get Viral Testing done?

Might be a good idea.
Do the guests usually interact with the chickens?
I would think the birds should be off limits to guests.
They aren't able to interact with the birds, go in the pen etc, but they are able to watch them from outside the coop. I would never be comfortable having anyone in the run with them that I didn't know. Especially small children.

One final question, we have 3 vacation rentals on our property. One is the largest house (sleeps 8) and is fairly close to the chicken coop. The other two are on the far end of the property, so I'm not to worried about them. Should I be concerned at all that the vacation renters might have flocks at home, and unknowingly spread it to their flock? Should I have my mom put a paragraph on her website specifically for chicken owners? Or should I not worry about it? Its insight of the chicken coop, thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom