Doing a Necropsy STARTING NOW (Smudge, Cornish X) Edit: Got histopathology results

Virkon S
https://virkon.us/
Screenshot_20211122-181456.png

Thank you for sharing this, Weeg, it's been a valuable learning experience. Very interesting. I had lymphoid tumors in my own hen a few years ago and the necropsy was quite a bit different and far more severe than what you saw. Some viral diseases can be so very tricky to diagnose. The fact that they found several criteria of malignancy in some of the cells (that's what they mean by anisocytosis--cells of irregular size and shape--and anisokaryosis--the cell nuclei are irregular in size and shape and some are doubled-- as well as many mitotic cells--cells in the act of dividing) paired with no nerve abnormality makes it pretty clear.
It's great that you sent her in and you have inspired me to do the same should I lose one to something I can't figure out on my own. I hope it helps you to know there was nothing you could have done for her. Again, I am sorry for your loss.

Thank you for sharing this, Weeg, it's been a valuable learning experience. Very interesting. I had lymphoid tumors in my own hen a few years ago and the necropsy was quite a bit different and far more severe than what you saw. Some viral diseases can be so very tricky to diagnose. The fact that they found several criteria of malignancy in some of the cells (that's what they mean by anisocytosis--cells of irregular size and shape--and anisokaryosis--the cell nuclei are irregular in size and shape and some are doubled-- as well as many mitotic cells--cells in the act of dividing) paired with no nerve abnormality makes it pretty clear.
It's great that you sent her in and you have inspired me to do the same should I lose one to something I can't figure out on my own. I hope it helps you to know there was nothing you could have done for her. Again, I am sorry for your loss.
Hi Sue!
When you say 'makes it pretty clear' what do you mean?

Thank you, I appreciate it.
Thank you for helping me understand the report better, this is very helpful. :)
I'm so glad I could help others in my situation. Not only has Smudge taught me so much, but I am so glad this thread can be helpful to others as well. It really is so great.

Hi Sue!
When you say 'makes it pretty clear' what do you mean?
I probably should have used better wording, but since the pathologist said that it's "most likely" that just makes sense. So instead of "pretty clear" I should have said it makes sense.
Both LL and Marek's are oncogenic viruses though, so it could be either and I am just talking to hear the sound of my own voice. :)

I'd also like to add that I think I've decided not to get viral testing.
A toxin really doesn't make any sense to me. If Smudge found it Doodle would have found it 100%, so she would have been affected as well. They were in the same housing, same feed, same environment.
Plus, I was never good at biosecurity. I really only started reading about it a month or so before the incident. I wouldn't be surprised if I picked something up.
Ordered Lysol, and have setup a biosecurity plan going forward. Thanks so much for your help everyone!

Back
Top Bottom