Doing a Necropsy STARTING NOW (Smudge, Cornish X) Edit: Got histopathology results

Pics
Wait I’m confused. I didn’t think Mareks could be spread in an egg if no contact with an infected chicken happens. Can a hatching egg bring it into a flock?
I posted a thread about this exact question after I heard. If the egg came in contact with the flock, because Mareks spreads through dander, it’s the exposure on the shell of the egg that is a concern. None of the chicks actually hatched from the eggs, but me, not knowing my flock was at risk, didn’t practice perfect bio security after touching the eggs. So I could have gotten dander on my hands from handling them, then spread it to my flock.
😤 It would be my fault for not practicing bio security and trusting that this member was a responsible breeder, but it’s still so infuriating.

I posted a thread about this exact question after I heard. If the egg came in contact with the flock, because Mareks spreads through dander, it’s the exposure on the shell of the egg that is a concern. None of the chicks actually hatched from the eggs, but me, not knowing my flock was at risk, didn’t practice perfect bio security after touching the eggs. So I could have gotten dander on my hands from handling them, then spread it to my flock.
😤 It would be my fault for not practicing bio security and trusting that this member was a responsible breeder, but it’s still so infuriating.
Huh. That’s so interesting. Thank you for clarifying for me. So if someone brings in hatching eggs, can the shells in the incubator pass it to the chicks that hatch? Is there a way to disinfect them without ruining the egg? I might need to start my own thread...I have learned so much from your posts. Thank you for taking the time to document all of this along with your explanations.

Huh. That’s so interesting. Thank you for clarifying for me. So if someone brings in hatching eggs, can the shells in the incubator pass it to the chicks that hatch? Is there a way to disinfect them without ruining the egg? I might need to start my own thread...I have learned so much from your posts. Thank you for taking the time to document all of this along with your explanations.
Hi
I use this diluted to clean my eggs.
E66B0A57-327F-44EF-860D-6DA72A7F86DE.png
It can be used to disinfect the incubator as well as an egg wash.

I’m very glad I can help. It is very possible that the virus can infect hatching chicks if it survives the incubation. The likelihood of its survival I’m not sure. I’d be interested in following your thread if you make one. Feel free to tag me if you do. 😁

Update: Just got her shipped off. I hope I did everything right. We ran around 3 stores looking for some kind of styrofoam cooler or cooler bag, but everyone was sold out. I ended up buying some frozen peas to keep it refrigerated better. Then bought a plasticity reusable shopping bag, stuffed the bird in that with the double bagged frozen peas, and wrapped everything in an additional garbage bag.
Then we bearily got it shipped, and the FedEx guy looked appalled when I told him the box contained animal organs. 🤦‍♀️ Then, he had to flip through about 3 different books trying to figure out if he could ship it. 😝 He said it should arrive by tomorrow, but no promises. It better get there by tomorrow. I’ll keep everyone updated, the pathologist said that he would call us for payment,and contact me if additional testing needs to be done.

Edit: Just fixed all of the grammar/spelling errors in this post, sorry about that. :p I hate those tiny phone keys.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom