Doing a Necropsy STARTING NOW (Smudge, Cornish X) Edit: Got histopathology results

I've not seen LL firsthand, but would agree with Carol (@azygous ) that from all photos and/research I've seen/read, this points to LL.

It will be interesting to see the report once you get the info back from the lab.

I'm very sorry about your loss.

I think you did a good job on the necropsy, you stepped up and did it. I have to admire all our very young community members here on BYC, all of you ROCK! and you inspire me to want to learn more.
Thank you so much. I really appreciate all of the support everyone has given me, and all of the information. Hoping to wrap my brain around which lab to send her to, for some reason I'm having a hard time figuring that out :p. I'm just glad that it might be LL, which is at least somewhat removable. Were Mareks lives in the soil for years. I'm going to contact my friends with flocks who have been here recently, tell them what is going on. Thank you everyone so much, I'm so glad that this thread can be helpful for others, and that I may have shed some light on what is going on.
I couldn't have done this without all of you. Again, thank you, and I'll keep you updated. :D

Last edited:
How many other chickens do you have right now?
When was the last time you brought a new bird home?
I have a flock of 7 bantams, and a flock of 6 standard chickens including Doodle. I also have 10 ducks. The last birds I brought home were from TSC for a lone chick I hatched. Before that, I purchased hatching eggs from a BYC seller who had occular Mareks in his flock, and didn’t tell me when he found out. I found out by finding a thread that he posted on here. That, could be were I got this from.

I could never do a necropsy myself. I can do bumblefoot surgery and glove up for egg binding, but not cut one of my birds open. Too wimpy :lau

Weeg, you are spectacular. Thank you so much for posting these pics. I’m so sorry about Smudge. :hugs
I thought the exact same thing about myself. :D Always wanted to do one for the expense, but never thought I actually could. I think this experience has really helped me grow as a chicken owner.
Thank you for your condolences, Smudge will be deeply missed.

Thank you for taking the time to do this and for sharing it with us. Your sweet Smudge may be able to help others and what a lovely legacy. I'm sorry for your loss.
Thank you so much for your support and condolences, I really appreciate it. 🤗 I'd like to thank everyone else as well who's posts I haven't replied to, or I missed. All of these condolences make it easier each time. As sad as it is so walk out and see lonely Doodle in her coop, I know we will work past this together, and both be stronger, smarter, and better able to protect the flock and ourselves after this experience. It has helped me grow so much in my chicken keeping, and will change my biosecurity practices greatly. Improving the quality of life and longevity for my birds in the future.
Again, thank you everyone so so much, I couldn't have done it without you. This forum really is a life saver. 💕

I would tell them you performed your own necropsy and would like to find out more about what you found.
You suspect that LL or Marek's is the cause of the lesions on the liver, but need help with filling out the form so you can get the right testing.
Just talk with them like you do with us :)

Aright, we have to head out to town in a few minuets, so I'll grab her and everything of shipping and call them when I get into range. Then I'll box her up after I grab a Styrofoam cooler, and drop her at the post office on the way home. I should have an update my this afternoon. Thanks again for everybody's help, I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom