Doing a Necropsy STARTING NOW (Smudge, Cornish X) Edit: Got histopathology results

Pics
I've not seen LL firsthand, but would agree with Carol (@azygous ) that from all photos and/research I've seen/read, this points to LL.

It will be interesting to see the report once you get the info back from the lab.

I'm very sorry about your loss.

I think you did a good job on the necropsy, you stepped up and did it. I have to admire all our very young community members here on BYC, all of you ROCK! and you inspire me to want to learn more.

Sorry for all the questions about labs, but at my state lab, when I scroll through tests and fee's I'm not entirely sure which one I should be paying for. There are multiple necropsy options, one is simply non-commercial or commercial, and two others are stated under pathology. The links are below.

Commercial necropsy- https://waddl.vetmed.wsu.edu
Non-Commercial necropsy- https://waddl.vetmed.wsu.edu/search-tests/Panels/Test-Details?id=2026
Necropsy Commercial (pathology)- https://waddl.vetmed.wsu.edu/search-tests/Panels/Test-Details?id=2026
Necropsy Cosmetic (pathology)- https://waddl.vetmed.wsu.edu/search-tests/Panels/Test-Details?id=809
Is this the right lab? Are any of these the right tests? In @azygous's link it looked like the lab was for people, I didn't see anything about animals or avian tests. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place. Sorry for the continual questions, but I really appreciate all of the help.

I've not seen LL firsthand, but would agree with Carol (@azygous ) that from all photos and/research I've seen/read, this points to LL.

It will be interesting to see the report once you get the info back from the lab.

I'm very sorry about your loss.

I think you did a good job on the necropsy, you stepped up and did it. I have to admire all our very young community members here on BYC, all of you ROCK! and you inspire me to want to learn more.
Thank you so much. I really appreciate all of the support everyone has given me, and all of the information. Hoping to wrap my brain around which lab to send her to, for some reason I'm having a hard time figuring that out :p. I'm just glad that it might be LL, which is at least somewhat removable. Were Mareks lives in the soil for years. I'm going to contact my friends with flocks who have been here recently, tell them what is going on. Thank you everyone so much, I'm so glad that this thread can be helpful for others, and that I may have shed some light on what is going on.
I couldn't have done this without all of you. Again, thank you, and I'll keep you updated. :D

Last edited:
Call them and ask. That will take all the guess work out of it. And they will be able to instruct you how to preserve the sample and ship it and how big the window is for viability of the sample so you will know if it's worth it trying to ship it.
Perfect, I'll call them in the morning. She's currently double bagged with all still attached organs and in the fridge. Heart and liver are in the fridge in separate bags. Thank you!

If your state lab system is similar to what we have here in NC, they are all somewhat "connected" meaning they communicate with one another. There's usually a "main lab" but the others are "branches".
I agree with Carol to give them a call. They should be able to tell you what info to fill out, including which tests you need and how to ship.

One last question, what exactly should I ask them? Should I say that I am wondering about LL and want testing for that, or should I just explain that I want additional testing after preforming my own necropsy? Thanks for answering all of my questions everyone, I'm glad I am able to learn from this, and that I will get to know what happened. I can't say how helpful everyone has been, and I hope this thread is helpful to others in the future.

I would tell them you performed your own necropsy and would like to find out more about what you found.
You suspect that LL or Marek's is the cause of the lesions on the liver, but need help with filling out the form so you can get the right testing.
Just talk with them like you do with us :)

Back
Top Bottom