Dominique breathing with a popping sound

canlayne

Hatching
8 Years
May 7, 2011
Have a 5 week old mixed flock (2 columbian wyandotte's, & 2 mixed bantams, and one dominque). Noticed two days ago the dominique was making a little popping noise when breathing. Only loud enough to hear when i would hold her close. At that time she was eating and drinking very well. Today less energy, runny stool with no blood; mostly clear with pale yellow, and really huddling up to the other chicks like she was trying to hide. So...any ideas as to what i could be dealing with? Should I separate her or will that cause undue stress? Is it because she is the only dominique in the flock of five? She was not interested in the broccoli that the other 4 devoured a few hours ago either. All other birds are active and show no signs of distress. Finally...I am new to raising chicks, or at least since i was a kid. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, I would definitely isolate. Not only does that protect her from bullying from the others (chickens will often spot weakness long before you do), but if what this chick has is contagious you might be able to limit its spread. And if you can provide her with additional warmth in a hospital cage that will often help, too.

Are you able to take her to the vet?

Investigating the vet option, but probably not able to take her until Monday. We did contact the feed store where we purchased the chick, and they said that the chicks were vaccinated prior to shipping from hatchery. So far, the other 5 chicks are acting normal and active. Thanks for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom