Dominique is being attacked!

flyingjen

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 10, 2014
Wheat Ridge, CO
I have a Dominique that is being attacked my my older ladies. The Dominique was added to the coop Oct 2016 and there were no problems with the addition of her and 2 others at that time. The other day I noticed she was limping and decided to keep my eye on her.
Today there were feathers all over the coop. All of the ladies free range during the day. As I was putting out new food I noticed she was still limping and so I picked her to to check her feet. When I put her down my two oldest (Buff Orpingtons) attacked her and pulled feathers. She doesn't move fast and so they are ganging up on her. I don't know if she is limping because they attacked her or they are attacking her because she is limping.
I don't know what to do to stop it and I'm afraid they may really injure her.
Help! Thanks.

What are the dimensions of your coop, how many birds? Can you see anything wrong with her feet? You may need to separate her from them for a while. When you do so, can you give her a single buddy? Perhaps one of the middle of the pecking order birds, or if you're really feeling bold, you might try her with the top biddy. I'd keep that arrangement in place for 2 weeks. Doms are a bit on the timid side. What are your other breeds?

What are the dimensions of your coop, how many birds? Can you see anything wrong with her feet? You may need to separate her from them for a while. When you do so, can you give her a single buddy? Perhaps one of the middle of the pecking order birds, or if you're really feeling bold, you might try her with the top biddy. I'd keep that arrangement in place for 2 weeks. Doms are a bit on the timid side. What are your other breeds?
The coop itself is 4'x8' and 6 feet tall. I have 10 ladies. They free range in an old dog run during the day that is probably 20 feet wide and runs the length of the house. I can't see anything wrong with her feet except they are mudding because it's been raining here. The two that are attacking her are Buff Orpingtons. But I also have Welsummers, a barred rock and a couple of Americaunas. And one I don't know what she is because she was a rescue (she was introduced at the same time as the Dominique).

I don't know if she is limping because they attacked her or they are attacking her because she is limping.
Could be either.

I put limping birds in a crate right in the coop to 'force' rest and yet the are still among the flock.
Let them out once a day, close to roost time, to get some exercise and evaluate their mobility. If they are no better back in the crate for another day of rest.

Back
Top Bottom