Dominique or Barred Rock??

Quote:
I spend FAR too much time on this site
hide.gif

Plus I had to look it up to be sure before I replied
lol.png

Genetics confuse me, but this is what I have read several times. Some people confuse a BR cockerel as being a pullet if they were sex linked as I described above. Their barring is the colour of a pure BR hen's barring, so the light colouring cockerel in a pure BR means nothing in a sex link situation. Hope I'm making sense
caf.gif

I have really only been chicken-keeping since August 1st this year. I spend almost all my time thinking/reading/being with my chickens. I really can't wait to get started breeding in the spring!

Their laying tendencies should be spot on.. RIR & BR are both wonderful layers of large brown eggs. I think it's possible your males might get some bleed through of red in their barring, but if you want to keep just the girls, this shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks so much! You have been very helpful. I may experiment with Waylon and one of my BRs to see what happens. I already have a local lady I found on here who is going to hook me up with BR roo!! I loooooooove this place....maybe a little too much. My husband works at a drug and alcohol rehab facility and he said he is going to have to start a new program for me....Chicken rehab LOL

lol.png

My fiancée always assume when ever I start a sentence out with "Did you know.." it's going to be about chickens. It usually is
gig.gif

I would need to sign up for that too!
celebrate.gif

Wait until we get our hands on those chicks.. We will start with the chicken math..
duc.gif

I just conned her into getting two more.. Can't just add one, right? We will need more of them to breed! We are going to work on Silkies and BR in the spring. We have a trio of BR and four silkies (one roo, 3 hens). The rest are all different types of girls. We most likely will have some mutts in there.

Would like to see what you get!

Zigmont These look like Dominique's to me, We had them in the mid-70's cause my Grandmother had them in them back around 1900 I ordered like 25 of them from a hatchery in the mid-90's and all of the ones I got had deformities like no wings or just stumps and spines that were curved into almost an "S" shape I still want some more but I would need to know that they were healthy and not overly inbred, Those are good looking birds BTW
Great question! I was told that my two are Dominiques, but I have no idea. What is the difference? Are Dominique Roos more aggressive? Ziggy is about 7/8 months old and so far, he is ok.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/110447_dsc02783.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/110447_dsc02766.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/110447_dsc02767.jpg

The first pic is of a barred rock, with a straight, edged comb but the latter two are of a dominique, because of the rose-comb type comb.

It could also be a cuckoo maran. Maran have single comb, the barring is uneven like your bird (cuckoo pattern), white legs and lay dark brown eggs. The easiest difference between Barred Rock and Maran is the yellow or white legs. Next is the egg color.

From everything I've been able to find out is when you breed a barred feathers hen to a RIR you get a black sexlink. If you get some like the one I have they are laying fools, large tan colored eggs and regular. The only thing with the one I have is she is not docile. She's not wild and all that flighty, she lets you touch her when he eating but that's it. She does have just a bit of a mean streak. Rather bossy to most hens but not to the ones that pop her back. Still a fantastic layer.

Quote:

Your BO does not looked mixed to me. And breeding her is up to you, it depends on what you want. If your breeding for more egg layers, or selling eggs to those who don't mind what quality they are, fine. If you're going to breed to win at a show, that may not be a good choice.

I have 2 BR, they may not be perfect, but the personality of a BR is in them both. Nice birds.

this is my dominique rooster, dominik. Can you see the difference! Once you see it, it is very obvious, spikes or no spikes. i would prefer spikes (they look cooler) but his rose comb doesnt freeze (wonderful for our wny winters!).

Back
Top Bottom