Dominique Thread!

:celebrateCongrats!
Such a great feeling to get that 1st egg.

Sure is! Especially since Opal's been complaining about her first egg for days! Such a little egg for all that complaining! I'll be happy w/ any eggs the Doms lay as long as they don't have any reproductive issues. After losing our 6-yr-old Silkie to a bleeding ovarian tumor I don't want to see that ever again in another poor hen!

The other two Dom pullets "Jewlz" and "Dana" should be laying within the next few days or couple weeks -- these 3 Doms came as chicks from Privett Hatchery via our local feed store but I suspect they were not all the same age when shipped from the hatchery.

Two out of 3 of our Dom girls are laying now. They started at 1.5-oz and gone up to 1.75-oz tan eggs. Still not as big as our Cuckoo Breda hen's 2.25-oz pink eggs. The only problem with having 3 identical Dominiques is that we don't know which Dom layed on which day! On a day when we get 3 little Dom eggs at the same time in nest box then we'll know for certain all 3 Dom girls have started laying -- for now it's a guessing game. I'm glad the Dom egg songs aren't wildly noisy - hope it stays that way. I had a Silkie that wouldn't shut up so it's nice to hear shorter egg songs.

Cuckoo Breda egg vs Dominique pullet egg -- lovely golden yolks!
DSCN8629.JPG

Tan Dominique eggs and pink Cuckoo Breda egg
DSCN8631.JPG

@Hilly78 Beautiful birds! Aren't they just the greatest? My absolute favorite are Breda chickens and they are just like the Doms in temperament and congeniality except Breda come in more variety of colors. I love my 3 Doms -- raised them from chicks and they are our friendly outgoing girls. Doms are my choice when Breda get hard to find.

P.S. What baffles me is that I spoke with a garden center employee yesterday who also has chickens, yet he never heard of Dominiques OR Breda before and only had a marginal recollection of hearing about Silkies. Says he's been researching online about chicken breeds so maybe I put a bug in his ear about something else besides Orps, 'Lorps, or RIRs -- nice birds but there are so many other breeds out there to explore!

P.S. What baffles me is that I spoke with a garden center employee yesterday who also has chickens, yet he never heard of Dominiques OR Breda before and only had a marginal recollection of hearing about Silkies. Says he's been researching online about chicken breeds so maybe I put a bug in his ear about something else besides Orps, 'Lorps, or RIRs -- nice birds but there are so many other breeds out there to explore!
Well it took me a couple years to find out about Bredas. Not a common breed. But Dominiques?

Uh oh! I have a bad feeling I hatched ALL MALES. The head spots don't look nice & round/compact like I think the females' should be. Also the fluff looks light to me. (However, that could be because I'm used to seeing my black orp chicks.) They do seem to have dark legs and dark beaks, so I'm confused.

Please let me know what you think.
dom a.jpg

dom b.jpg

dom c.jpg
dom d.jpg

dom e.jpg

Does anyone have a pic of a female Dom chick, so I may compare fluff color?

From about 3 days old in the kiddie pool brooder to about 2 weeks old. You can tell chicks were older in the last pics because they were growing in their little wing feathers. When I picked my chicks out of my Privett Hatchery order, I didn't go so much with the tight white dot on the head but more with the dark shading down the front legs and toes to pick my females. Funniest, silliest, quirkiest, pestiest breed I ever had!

DSCN8248.JPG
DSCN8249.JPG
DSCN8250.JPG
DSCN8251.JPG
DSCN8252.JPG
DSCN8253.JPG
DSCN8256.JPG
DSCN8257.JPG
DSCN8258.JPG
DSCN8275.JPG
DSCN8276.JPG
DSCN8277.JPG