Dominique Thread!

Got a photo of a couple of the 14 week old doms today. There are 3 pullets total and 2 cockerels. Will only keep one of the cockerels (if he continues to behave).

Green Band - Hope he's a keeper.
2018 0-16 dominique - Mr Green Band.jpg

One of the pullets (blue and red bands).

2018 9-16 dominique - red blue band.jpg

I have one pullet that is as light colored as your cockerel

I had a very light chick until she got her adult feathers and turned out nearly as dark as her sisters -- when they're in the yard I can only tell them apart now by the different shapes if their combs - my lighter girl also has the best U-shape to her back -- she's the sweetest of the girls -- only thing is that her comb isn't as flat against her skull like her sisters:
DSCN9257.JPG

FLATTER LOOKING COMB BUT NOT A GOOD U-BACK
DSCN9501.JPG
DSCN9502.JPG

Currently I have a Dominique breed chicken "Dana" in-house recovering from a case of Bumblefoot. I was able to treat one foot without surgery but ultimately had to return to the vet to scoop out the other little foot plug and the vet prescribed Clindomycin antibiotic (Bumblefoot is a staph infection and surgery alone seldom works without an internal antibiotic). It was scary to me that Bumblefoot untreated can get bad enough to kill a bird! TG for antibiotics nowadays!

Here's my sweet patient with her bandaged foot -- Dana:
dscn9614-jpg.1554065

DSCN9257.JPG

She's my lightest color Dom. She has the prettiest U-back stance or am I just a proud owner LOL! -- I believe Langshan are another breed known for this beautiful U stance? When I got the 3 Dominiques as chicks all I could hope for was that at least ONE had a pretty stance and that they had leaders at the ends of their combs -- I think I got lucky with my Privett Hatchery chicks ordered on my request through my local feed store.

Dana's right foot had to have surgery to remove a last little bit of Bumblefoot plug that was too stubborn for me to remove and I didn't want to dig around in her foot where delicate tendons and tissues are. She's on Clindomycin for a week for the infection. I let the vet do his magic touch on her. He will see her tomorrow for a follow-up check. My vet is a strong advocate for giving chickens their vitamins. Every time I leave his office he stresses that I make sure to give my girls their vitamins. A fortified chicken is better off to fight against all the chicken viruses that a bird might succumb to if too weak to resist disease. Of course some chicken genetics are stronger than others but we owners do the best for our flock that we can with good diet, clean housing, good medical care, and the rest is up to Mother Nature.

Where does Dana stay when she's a house chicken? Does she get nightly lap time, watch TV &/or play video games?

Teehee! No, but she gets to listen to Classical music in her pen and rewarded with her favorite marshmallows for being so good when we have to change her bandage or syringe meds down her throat! Marshmallows to her are like ice cream is for kids!

Oh! How I LOVE Dominiques! My friend had to come by for a couple days to help me syringe the meds and my friend was amazed at how tame Dana is! I said, right from the time they are chicks they are the pesty-est friendliest chattiest outgoing birds I've ever had. My Breda are pretty people-friendly and docile but the Doms are not afraid of visitors and swarm them for treats and if there's no treats, they swarm the visitors just to sit and chat! These Doms are the most talkative hens. All my different hen breeds respond to my voice but what scares me is that I'm starting to understand what THEY'RE saying now :lau!

Back
Top Bottom