Dominique Thread!

Here's some pics of mine. Got them last summer, slowly worked my day down to one roo and eight hens. Gave away a few hens to a friend, lots of roos went in the pot. Got to pull some eggs out to hatch some chicks soon. Pics are a few days old, 7 week old last summer, and this winter during a snow storm. Need to take a pic of my last rooster, he's turned out really handsome, definitely cock of the walk! Only problem, when I got rid of all his competition he got mean, he keeps attacking my boots when I go in the coop!

NewPeeps2.jpg

Dominiques7weeks.jpg

Domsinthesnow.jpg

Would Dominique be a good choice for crossing on a Wyandotte to create a barred Wyandotte? Thinking that way you could keep the rosecomb on the Wyandotte and not taking a chance of loosing it crossing to the Barred Plymouth Rock.

Not a great photo, but these are my first two chickens (ever), the "Dots", for the now diminishing dots on the back of their heads. Dominiques from hatchery stock. They are about 4-5 weeks old now and seem to be thriving.

56974_chicks_day_2.jpg

I have a question for those of you experienced with this breed. My Dominiques are now just about a month old. They are in with a couple of other breeds that are all within a couple of days of being the same age. They are all eating the same starter/grower. And the Dominiques are growing the slowest out of the whole bunch. They literally look like bantams compared to the others (none of which are particularly large breeds). Is this common for this breed or is it simply indicative of Cackle Hatchery's stock?

Quote:
I'm not sure what the Barred Wyandotte standard calls for, but the Dom barring is closer to cuckoo than the highly delineated barring on the Barred rocks. The Doms bar isn't straight, but more V shaped and I think the bird is supposed to be 50% black 50% white and the Barred Rock more white than black?

I'm hardly an expert, but that's my understanding.

Back
Top Bottom