Dominique Thread!

Pics
Quote:
Cool! That's what I think too!!!

And I have to agree with your evaluations. It's great to have different folks chime in with insight.

These are not my birds. They are the parents to some of my flock. I don't know if these exact ones are, but the breeder had some birds that were 9 years old - can you believe it? The male is really washed out, but how about the female? I think she has good color going for her.

36723_img_0278.jpg

Quote:

And I have to agree with your evaluations. It's great to have different folks chime in with insight.

These are not my birds. They are the parents to some of my flock. I don't know if these exact ones are, but the breeder had some birds that were 9 years old - can you believe it? The male is really washed out, but how about the female? I think she has good color going for her.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/36723_img_0278.jpg

Because of the angle of the birds it is impossible to evaluate the shape of the two birds but I like the idea of the picture of the "two seniors" together. The colors seem appropriate for their stated age. But both are way too light if they were younger, including the hen. Most young hens have a shade of gray instead of white barring . The color in this picture is more like a BR.

Quote:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/36723_img_0278.jpg

Because of the angle of the birds it is impossible to evaluate the shape of the two birds but I like the idea of the picture of the "two seniors" together. The colors seem appropriate for their stated age. But both are way too light if they were younger, including the hen. Most young hens have a shade of gray instead of white barring . The color in this picture is more like a BR.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful indeed!

Quote:
Not in the first year. In the second year & beyond mine lay a pretty good sized egg.

Quote:

Pity you're not closer. I had the unusual problem this year of producing too many nice females & not enough males. I really hated to part with any but after selling all that anyone wanted & was left with 21 beautiful pullets as well as the hens I had held over. Ended up sending 10 pullets to a local auction last weekend. They'll probably bring $3 each & end up in someone's freezer but I just don't have the need for 30 breeding females.

Quote:
NYREDS, that makes me so sad! You must tell us more about your birds, from your experience as a judge. What have you seen - good and bad -in the Dominiques over the years?

Would love for you to share any stories!

Thanks so much!!!

Quote:
NYREDS, that makes me so sad! You must tell us more about your birds, from your experience as a judge. What have you seen - good and bad -in the Dominiques over the years?

Would love for you to share any stories!

Thanks so much!!!

I second that ! I think that we all all looking for more information on SOP and source of the same. The goal here seems to keep the breed going by fostering information and interest. Well that what my intent is anyway because i really like their personality, hardiness and history. So there !

Back
Top Bottom