LikeTurkeys

Crowing
5 Years
Jul 25, 2018
Southern California
I just had 3 chicks hatch out, 2 Dominique x Buff Orpington and 1 Dominque x Easter Egger. The Dominique is the father. One of the Buff Orpington cross chicks is more yellow in the face and has a rose comb, the other is less so, smaller and has a single comb. I can't tell what kind of comb the EE mix is. Can anyone explain the genetics behind this and can the gender be determined based off of the differences? Here are some pics:
IMG_3156.JPG
This is the first Dominique x BO cross with rose comb.
IMG_3157.JPG
Second DOM x BO with single comb.
IMG_3158.JPG

And this is the DOM x EE.

Here are all of them with their mother, just because it's cute:
IMG_3159.JPG

Thanks!!!

Some Dominique stocks do not breed true for rose comb, especially at least a couple commercial hatchery flocks as they appear to use a cross that is not of good type and not homozygous for rose comb. Presumably this is to produce more hatching eggs and allow feather sexing where males develop wing feathers much slower than females. Not all the hatchery stock sold carries the single (wildtype) comb allele. Yours may be more of a cross than you know. A picture of him would be informative.

Some show stock may be allowed to carry single comb allele to help with fertility issues associated with rose comb, although I personally have not had birds with that characteristic from private stocks. It been a few years now since I got American Dominiques from several sources at same time to ferret this stuff out.

I have made American Dominique crosses with American Games where the latter are highly variable in terms of coloration. The latter carries alleles that can make either for the brown face on black body or brown body all over. Yours appears to be of the former.

You can sex chicks at a glance when American Dominique is the mother, but when father all chicks same on characters based on coloration. With my stock I can sex with reasonable accuracy by looking at foot size. Even at hatch males have larger feet. Reasonable for me.

It's hard to tell with crosses so I'd say it is too young.
That said, if it is a cross, there is no real way to tell what the comb will be in future generations.

Back
Top Bottom