DONE with terratorial breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by eestep8, Sep 17, 2009.

1. eestep8

eestep8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I have some OEGB and sebrights. The OEGBs are almost a year old, I have a rooster and a pullet. She is sweet, he is evil lol Everytime I reach in the cage to feed and water he attacks. I have scratches and wounds on my hands. Now after we fight with him to catch him he is calm and loving, so I know its not just him being mean its that hes territorial. We have a pair of sebright brothers that are a few months old, neither one has ever attacked me. Until today, I leaned into their cage to set their waterer back and one pecked me on the forehead while the other layed into my hand.

With having kittens and chickens my hands and arms are usually scratched up. They were almost all healed up until today lol Oh well, I still love them all, but will in the future not buy or raise territorial breeds anymore.

2. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    I can tell you that can happen with any breed. My Bantam Cochins are the sweetest birds that I own. They come to me when I go into their pen wanting to be picked up and played with. But I've got one Cochin roo who is the most hateful bird I own. Every time I open his pen to feed or water him and his girls, he comes at me. My arms were always scratched up. I tried carrying him around the yard while I fed, thinking this might help. Well, it didn't. He'd bite me when we were walking around. This went on for a couple of months, until I gave him a swift kick one day when he came at me. Hasn't done it since. I wish I'd have know this 2 months before. I'd have kicked him alot sooner. I've got both OEGBs and Sebrights, and I've never had either breed get aggressive with me. I guess sometimes these roos have to test you, and you've got to show them who's boss. [​IMG]

3. eestep8

eestep8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    SW Ohio
    LOL yeah I do smack the OEGB some times (lightly) Maybe its only when feeding, cause I went out today and leaned right in the cage and he was fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by