dont buy eggs from ebay when for 2 reasons. more inside and pics

pax12

Crowing
16 Years
Feb 7, 2008
PA
dont buy eggs from ebay it better for them to pick up for 2 reasons. when the eggs get xrays the chick gets killed or formed wrong my duck my formed wrong and at 5 weeks it died
hit.gif
and 2 lived of 9. dont give the chick pain. you might get riped off to.

hit.gif
trust me
hit.gif

no more pain

Last edited:
Those ducks are crested and I understand that's a lethal allele. Could it be that some of the chicks inherited genes from both parents and that caused the birth defect? I know that's what lethal allele's do. I'm still learning about it though.

It's not just ebay - these are the potential risks anytime you purchase shipped eggs.

Even well packaged, carefully marked and shipped eggs can be totally destroyed, lost, overheated, xrayed, etc during the shipping process.

BUT if you want particular breeder's stock, or certain rare breeds, its the risk you have to take.

That's why NOBODY who ships eggs will guarantee their hatchability. There are just too many factors that can go wrong.

Having said that, I've bought shipped eggs several times and have had 70%+ hatch rates every time. Most people say to shoot for about 50% hatch rates on shipped eggs. On the other hand, of my own silkie eggs, I'm running 100% hatch rate...

Sorry you had such bad luck.

ebay first I bought 4 RIR egg no hatch then bought 9 duck eggs 3/9 hatched

now i get them from a friend

Sorry you had such bad luck, but I agree with Arlee - and, I bought eBay eggs, received 14, one was cracked, and the rest (all 13) hatched without issue. It all depends on the post office, and unforunately, they do need to x-ray packages they suspect may have illegal items in them. It's too bad our country has come to this, but it's just one of the risks we take buying shipped eggs.

Quote:
Do you do anything special with your shipped eggs? I am running at 0-5% (meaning maybe 1 out of 20 eggs) on all shipped chicken eggs. After about 12 sets of shipped eggs, I finally got 2 out of 12 eggs, which is my best hatch yet for eggs that have gone through the postal gauntlet. How do you do it?

I am also sorry you had bad luck, I also have bought eggs from ebay. I got 14 eggs and all 14 eggs hatched 100% mine were packed great and the box was all smashed. I guess it is the luck of the draw you take when buying shipped eggs. I have also got eggs from a lady down the road and I have had better hatch from e-bay eggs. I think it is just luck, I also hatch mine unber broodys not a bator.

Back
Top Bottom