Don't eat that.

My chickens have tried:

• Total voters
Pics

Mace Gill

Songster
May 26, 2017
New Jersey
Let's have some stories about your chickens eating, pecking at, tasting, trying, exploring something that they shouldn't!

Everything from the shriek of 'WHAT are you DOING???' when you discover they've hopped the fence to your vegetable garden to 'No, I will NOT allow you to eat that quarter so PUT IT DOWN!'

And ... of course ... describe the rational discussions you've had with your chickens concerning these habits.

So my cat caught a mouse but didn't kill she just tortured it by swatting it throwing it in the air and biting it not too long later my blind in one eye Ancona hen who for some reason likes to play with my cat came over to her excitedly and grabbed the mouse and ran away and swallowed it whole later she found another mouse and did the same. They also are professional frog hunters lol.

Last year my chickens decided to eat a baby bird even though the parents and I were both trying to get them to leave the baby alone- I don't think I ate any chicken for 8 months
The outside cat is always bringing gifts ( move, Chipmunks, birds, frog-eyed you name it she's caught and ate it) to the front stoop, playing with it at first then eating it.
The inside cats have caught 3-4 nice inside the house. As soon as we catch them, we tell whichever cat has the mouse to drop it and sometimes have to end up fighting the cat for the prize.
Last year when we had piggies, every time I wore shoes with laces they would try to eat the laces.
The thing I have to keep repeating myself about with the chickens is my toes aren't worms but they don't listen.
So far I haven't observed the steers eating anything they aren't supposed to. In matter if fact, the steers will throw a temper tantrum if there is ducks or geese on the pond in the pasture.
I have also seen the chickens chase the outside cats where I have heard that it's normally the other way around.

So my cat caught a mouse but didn't kill she just tortured it by swatting it throwing it in the air and biting it not too long later my blind in one eye Ancona hen who for some reason likes to play with my cat came over to her excitedly and grabbed the mouse and ran away and swallowed it whole later she found another mouse and did the same. They also are professional frog hunters lol.
They are vicious lil predators, no? Pulled out the lawnmower on spring for the first mow ... checked the oil, gassed it up, after a couple of pulls to start it, a mouse who had taken up residence ran out and into the run. I said 'hey mouse, that's a bad plan!' but I don't think it even had time to hear me finish the sentence!

900x900px-LL-e32aa639_DSC_1056.jpeg

not my own photo of course...

Back
Top Bottom