Don't know if I will sleep tonight...

This is what we use, I’m not convinced that an animal couldn’t pull those fasteners you’ve used out.

Attachments

• IMG_3363.jpeg
    IMG_3363.jpeg
    393.2 KB · Views: 21
This is what we use, I’m not convinced that an animal couldn’t pull those fasteners you’ve used out.
Yes. We are using those on some of the other windows we have. Getting ready to install trim over the hardware cloth that is screwed on. Otherwise keeping a close eye on them throughout the night via cameras and alerts. Closing man door in the mean time.

Good idea, but I don't see that the hardware cloth is secured well enough to the framing. Our hardware cloth is stapled to the framing, and then wood strips are screwed in over the top to the framing also. In fact, the lower 4' of the hardware cloth has 2"x 4" woven wire over the hardware cloth, to keep big dogs out.
Paranoia pays off!
Maryither
Yes reinforcing it with woven wire and strips is the only way to keep it from being ripped off.

If a big predator (dog) throws itself against the door it could tear the hardware cloth loose. I attached mine the same as yours originally but I'm going back over it with strips and woven wire to make it stronger.I have a lot more chickens now ...
Also. In this pic it looks like the hardware cloth is attached to the inside of the door. IMO it should be fastened to the outside. That way if an animal thrusts against it, it will hold longer and resist the assault, and the predator may see that its efforts are in vain and givd up. However, if an animal pushes against hardware cloth attached to the INSIDE of the door frame, it is much more likely to be able to push it off the frame and force its way in.

Also. In this pic it looks like the hardware cloth is attached to the inside of the door. IMO it should be fastened to the outside. That way if an animal thrusts against it, it will hold longer and resist the assault, and the predator may see that its efforts are in vain and givd up. However, if an animal pushes against hardware cloth attached to the INSIDE of the door frame, it is much more likely to be able to push it off the frame and force its way in.
No, hardware cloth is stapled to the outside of the door. Screen, then hardware cloth, stapled to the outside, then trim over the edges of both. :)

If you zoom in it looks like the hardware cloth is on the outside just the edges are covered by trim or other pieces of wood.

Back
Top Bottom