Anna_b

In the Brooder
May 16, 2021
I need help with a limping hen.

I have a hen who is a couple years old and she resently started limping. She has no signs of bumble foot or leg mites, and she doesn’t seem to have a physical injury. When she started limping i separated her and let her rest but it didn’t help. Her comb is still very red, and she can walk. She still eats and drinks and she more or less acts like a normal chicken except she limps and sits down as much as possible. She also is loosing a bit of weight and has a poopy butt.

Recently i had the same thing happen to another chicken who passed away. She started limping, then sitting as often as possible, then got a poopy butt, then started loosing weight. She got really skinny and couldn’t get herself on to the roosting bar anymore, then she died.

I didn’t think to much of it when my recent hen started limping. I assumed she just hurt her leg, but it is really starting to look like the situation where my last chicken died.

I’m getting worried and i’m not sure what’s wrong or what i can do for her, i just started giving her vitamines to see if that would help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have a hen who is a couple years old and she resently started limping. She has no signs of bumble foot or leg mites, and she doesn’t seem to have a physical injury. When she started limping i separated her and let her rest but it didn’t help. Her comb is still very red, and she can walk. She still eats and drinks and she more or less acts like a normal chicken except she limps and sits down as much as possible. She also is loosing a bit of weight and has a poopy butt.

Recently i had the same thing happen to another chicken who passed away. She started limping, then sitting as often as possible, then got a poopy butt, then started loosing weight. She got really skinny and couldn’t get herself on to the roosting bar anymore, then she died.

I didn’t think to much of it when my recent hen started limping. I assumed she just hurt her leg, but it is really starting to look like the situation where my last chicken died.

I’m getting worried and i’m not sure what’s wrong or what i can do for her, i just started giving her vitamines to see if that would help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I’m having nearly the exact same issue minus the poopy butt. Let me know if you get any answers and I will do the same for you. Good luck!

Do you have Gail Damerow’s book “Chicken Health,”? It is a very good reference. Chickens can actually get a couple forms of gout, just like people in addition to the above mentioned arthritis, but, the poopy butt business is concerning..

Back
Top Bottom