Don't let your chickens eat vermillion?

Sustained

Songster
6 Years
Sep 17, 2014
Oregon
I was given that advice by an older gentleman at the feed store. He didn't say why and I was in a hurry to get home. I tried to google it but came up with nothing. Anyone have any idea what he was talking about? Myth? Old wives tale? Some obscure fact that google is unaware of? Gotta love randome advice haha

Well I suppose anything is possible. He was in line behind me at the checkout and the cashier was asking me about my garden and I mentioned that I had to fence it to keep the chickens out and we were trading info on the plants our chickens have decimated in our yards over the summer while she was ringing me up. So I'm thinking he did mean vermillion. I wish I had taken the time to stop and ask him why.

When I read it first (and I'm kinda old and backwoods) I took it that he meant dead/nasty something animal....then I looked it up and saw it meant something red....LOL No telling. Since I've grown up and gotten some education outside the woods I found out there were lots of things we grew up knowing that didn't actually exist....I was almost 50 before I found out that bazerk didn't exist...that it was actually berserk...who knew?

I bet he meant vermin, like rats, mice etc.
There reason being that they (the vermin) could have eaten a poison as in a rat poison.

Back
Top Bottom