Don't think I got the breeds I paid for Lots of pics

P8ntCrazy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 29, 2014
Queen Creek Arizona
I am new to owning chickens. My girls have just started laying and are laying me beautiful eggs.. This morning I had the pleasure of watching three of them lay while I was in there. So I thought I bought 3 Buff Orpingtons. As they have grown I have wondered, 2 of them are snow white and the other has more of what I would call a wheaten color.
This little girl #12 above layed me a pale blue/slightly green egg

This is #11 above she looks slightly different with her fluffy cheeks. She layed me a pale blue egg.

This is the third of what I thought was a Buff. I have not seen her lay an egg yet? I was told these were buffs I guess not, any ideas what they are. I am assuming cross breeds?
The last girl (pictured below #27) I have a question on is a rescue hen, found her in the jaws of the neighbors dog not sure where she came from but she lays me large pale blue eggs.

I also am finding out that the ones that were labeld Ameraucana are actually Easter Eggers as I am getting shades of green eggs. I am happy with my girls I just am unhappy that the feed store lied or has no clue what they are selling. I like to keep acurate records of what breeds I own. Below is a picture of the eggs laid this morning by the girls above and below that I have questions about.

Camera doesn't show the colors of the blue and green ones well.
The top row 1st on left is from #11 hen and is a pale blue, the 2nd is from #17 hen an Ameraucana/EE the 3rd is from #12 hen and the last one in the top row is from my resue hen and is pale blue. The #11 & #27 are that pale blue and #17 & #12 (two in the middle) are more green than blue. The pic below is my #17 hen Ameraucana/EE

So any information would be great. I am assuming they are all a type of EE's pictured above? Especially since Buffs lay brown eggs. Thanks for any info.

Hello, they all appear to be beautiful Easter eggers. Although there may be a white and a buff ameraucana but its a bit hard to tell from the pictures.

Nice birds either way :)

Feed stores typically get their chickens from a hatchery. If you can find out from the feed store what hatchery they use I can tell you pretty quickly if your hens are Easter Eggers or Ameraucana's. Unfortunately hatchery Ameraucanas almost always are Easter Eggers. Here is a link that may help you. http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html Anyways, just consider that all your birds that lay a blue egg or greenish blue egg right now are Easter Eggers until we can confirm what hatchery they come from. You have some really pretty birds there.

I agree, you have some nice Easter egger hens. Buff Orpingtons have a solid gold color, straight combs, white legs and very loose, fluffy feathering.

You can tell they're definitely not Irpingtons because they have fluffy cheeks and lay pretty, non brown eggs!

Back
Top Bottom