Do's and dont's for a "living room" coop? Building housing indoors?

Quote:
X however many times. The dust is bad for people too. Asthma is no fun, and would be just a matter of time. The garage is a good option in your case. I know a number of people that handle their rooster like you described. I live in a very similar housing area, the only big difference is that I can have chickens here and a lot of neighbors have hens also. We just can't keep roos. I would just ask your neighbors what they think of your keeping chickens, and bribe them with fresh eggs when you talk to them. If they are okay them you might not need to hide the roo.

I am agast at the fact that the indoor chicken huggers have forsaken the holy grail of all post............... aside from one errant indoor cultist. A year ago this thread would have been awash with devil tongued indoorest belating anything other than house fowl. So where have they all gone to......... underground perhaps............. maybe they tired of the backlash of negitive publicity for their less than normal habits. IDK ............. I know people in urban settings think having chickens is the new black but there are limits to ones sanity and desire to be cool with the newest fad's. The voice of reason say's otherwise, so please just take a few months to digest what has been said and all the advice given and choose what's best for not only you but the chickens as well, good luck to you.

I have a house hen
big_smile.png
she's not dirty shes very well behaved and is no worse than having a huge parrot inside your home.. this is the coop we use for nugget
love.gif
my husband drilled holes on either end and put in a perch for her she loves it! the side with the ramp on it is a perfect nesting box for her.. she's a silkie/barred rock cross and weighs at most 3 pounds she's tiny but it may work for your house hens. best of luck!

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751752

Thanks for all of the comments, the productive and educating ones and also the less productive ones. (Didn't know that chicken people can also be aggressive - but it's like on any forum really, he he.)

The reason I asked is because I did see house chickens mentioned even on this forum, and have seen some pics, just never knew how they were housed day to day.

I don't intend to move our whole chicken farm into our home, just to keep in it the three chickies that I am already used to. Since our farm is unfortunately 2 miles away from home (and we usually drive there for lack of time after work), I just cannot imagine parting with them and moving them there also. The house will be pretty empty without them. If some day we are lucky to find our dream place where we can have all our babies in our back yard, these three will go outside with everyone.

We do have an enclosed small (SMALL) yard/patio and perhaps the chickies could be kept there then in a coop.

A lot of people are also against keeping e.g. dogs inside, yet I'm one of those whose dogs have always slept in bed with their owner, or at least in the same room. Maybe it's the same deal with chickens - in the three months that I've had mine three inside, I haven't noticed any horrible dust or smell (as I clean their cage daily, every morning), the only thing is the sawdust technically getting out through the bars of the crate. My own bunny also lives in a crate in the kitchen and goes for a walk around the house every evening, I'm sure if I didn't clean his cage every morning it would smell too, but it doesn't. Peppi the rabbit jumps in our lap as we're having dinner and does all kinds of other gimmicks. He sheds fur for sure (right now especially) but that doesn't really bother us on a large scale and we're still in good health, thank goodness.

Just saying I don't mind taking extra care and spending extra time just to have my loved ones near. I spend too much time apart from them already.

I guess to me, a chicken is different than a dog, cat or rabbit. Even if you clean daily and can't see it, the dust is there. And I think things like salmonella are more likely to be in a chicken than the others. I guess it's not much different than a pet parrot or something but I wouldn't have one of those in the house either. Even though we don't now, I have had cats (lots of them) and dogs in the house and I still would never have a chicken in the house. Not even a day old chick.

Quote:
Go for it. There your chickens. I live on a farm & really think my chickens would rather live outside. If they lived inside I'd never see them.

there are always chickens in my house day old to almost laying as long keep cage clean and dont mind vacuming and dusting you be fine

Back
Top Bottom