Dosage for Oxytetracycline???? **NEW VIDEOS OF SICK CHICKENS ADDED PLEASE HELP**

Just wanted to update this thread with my chickens progress.

My sickest patient, the red hen, has recovered. She is not 100%, but I would say about 95% lol. Her congestion had hung on, but it finally seemed to clear up. I put her back with everyone else because she was going stir crazy in that cage she'd been in for weeks now and was ready to get out and be a chicken again. She was SO happy to be back too. She has been laying regularly again! And EVERYONE had stopped laying, but today I got 7 eggs! I have 7 hens that are laying, so I am super proud of all the ladies!!

The barred rock chick, poor thing, she still has a hard time breathing, but the other three I have in the hospital are all doing significantly better. I have been giving Tylan 50 injections and Duramycin in the drinking water.

I don't think I will lose anyone else, could be wrong, but crossing my fingers that I'm not. Thanks to everyone who has helped! I wouldn't have made it through all of this without ya!!

For future reference. I live here in Cheyenne OK/Texas and they may not always have it but usually Atwoods or Tractor Supply carries a 6.5oz packet of soluble powder form of Oxytetracycline that you can mix with water. Imo is a bit safer to try and give to baby chicks rather than giving them shots if you have not done it much. And I am sorry for your loss :(

Just wanted to update this thread with my chickens progress.

My sickest patient, the red hen, has recovered. She is not 100%, but I would say about 95% lol. Her congestion had hung on, but it finally seemed to clear up. I put her back with everyone else because she was going stir crazy in that cage she'd been in for weeks now and was ready to get out and be a chicken again. She was SO happy to be back too. She has been laying regularly again! And EVERYONE had stopped laying, but today I got 7 eggs! I have 7 hens that are laying, so I am super proud of all the ladies!!

The barred rock chick, poor thing, she still has a hard time breathing, but the other three I have in the hospital are all doing significantly better. I have been giving Tylan 50 injections and Duramycin in the drinking water.

I don't think I will lose anyone else, could be wrong, but crossing my fingers that I'm not. Thanks to everyone who has helped! I wouldn't have made it through all of this without ya!!

Glad the majority are getting better!

-Kathy

For future reference. I live here in Cheyenne OK/Texas and they may not always have it but usually Atwoods or Tractor Supply carries a 6.5oz packet of soluble powder form of Oxytetracycline that you can mix with water. Imo is a bit safer to try and give to baby chicks rather than giving them shots if you have not done it much. And I am sorry for your loss :(
Welcome to BYC!

-Kathy

my chickens are on oxytet for a couple of weeks but some still have congestion runny nose , should I try something else?
I just really don't even know lol.... a few of my chicks are still sick, but for the most part, my adult birds are all over it, but it did take a couple weeks. How long have you been dealing with this? From what I've been told, they may occasionally have a runny nose or other problems from time to time after they recover. I've decided I'm not going to worry too much about runny noses, but if they start having such a hard time breathing again and acting really sick, I will separate them and give them some TLC and meds. I really wish I'd been able to send the dead bodies for testing to see what they have, would take the guess work out of treating them. Hang in there, I hope yours continue to improve.

Maybe Kathy can shed some light on this... I read something about using oxine in a humidifier and more of less "fogging" your birds that have respiratory illness. From what I read, it cured a lot of people's respiratory problems they were having in their flock. This is definitely something I would not hesitate to try if I knew it wasn't a bunch of malarkey and could possibly work. Any thoughts/ideas/details anyone can add to the oxine idea??

Thank you, and
welcome-byc.gif
!! I found another local place here that had some of the meds I was looking for, hooray!! Tractor supply was all sold out of a lot of stuff for some reason

Before I would try using oxine this way I would want to see it documented by a vet. No offense to anyone that's tried it, I'd just wanna see more than posts on various forums/websites.

-Kathy

I just really don't even know lol.... a few of my chicks are still sick, but for the most part, my adult birds are all over it, but it did take a couple weeks. How long have you been dealing with this? From what I've been told, they may occasionally have a runny nose or other problems from time to time after they recover. I've decided I'm not going to worry too much about runny noses, but if they start having such a hard time breathing again and acting really sick, I will separate them and give them some TLC and meds. I really wish I'd been able to send the dead bodies for testing to see what they have, would take the guess work out of treating them. Hang in there, I hope yours continue to improve.

Maybe Kathy can shed some light on this... I read something about using oxine in a humidifier and more of less "fogging" your birds that have respiratory illness. From what I read, it cured a lot of people's respiratory problems they were having in their flock. This is definitely something I would not hesitate to try if I knew it wasn't a bunch of malarkey and could possibly work. Any thoughts/ideas/details anyone can add to the oxine idea??

some did get better, but the rest are getting it now. my new hammy is cured but molting now. I free ranged the other sick ones to see if they get better like the hammy and the 2 silkies have gained weight eat well but their noses are clogged runny at times and their eyes still get puffy.

Back
Top Bottom