Oh Marly!! I just stumbled on to this and read the WHOLE thing!!! You are amazing and can DO anything you put your mind to. If you want to be a vet DO IT. I didn't follow through years ago because an old chauvinist vet told me girls couldn't be vets. (this was 100 years ago). I went to college for fun a few years back and got straight A;s so there you old vet. You will be an awesome researcher and YOU GO GIRL !!!!

Oh Marly!! I just stumbled on to this and read the WHOLE thing!!! You are amazing and can DO anything you put your mind to. If you want to be a vet DO IT. I didn't follow through years ago because an old chauvinist vet told me girls couldn't be vets. (this was 100 years ago). I went to college for fun a few years back and got straight A;s so there you old vet. You will be an awesome researcher and YOU GO GIRL !!!!

Thank you so much for the kind encouraging words :love
You should go back now and be a vet :woot
If I can do it you can do it for sure!

20C965BE-1F77-4529-9C16-5ACB39A5FE30.jpeg
A3724AFA-8603-444E-96E4-C1017DE1F775.jpeg

First prototype of a little grippy shoe I’m trying to sew for Tony. As you can see it’s not my main talent but I’m trying :oops:

He lasted 2 hours with it before he dragged it through their food and it came off... working on DuckBooty 2.0 as we speak

EDIT: the picture doesn’t show it but the bottom has those grippy dots on it. Used a work glove for this one!

So just wanted to write a bit of an update on the babies! Mostly how Tony has been doing with his little handiquack.

They’re a little over 4 weeks now and growing like crazy! A few days ago Penny suddenly decided she was German. She CHARGED at the brooder wall (cardboard from tsc), leapt on top of the edge, and leaned forward till she took the entire thing down with her to the floor!! Then Tony added his two cents too by barreling straight into the already sorry excuse for a wall and ramming the rest of it down. If that isn’t teamwork I don’t know what is...

SO!! I had to change their room of course. So behold....

1D4BC845-F6A7-4486-BAB9-6EC4259CAC9F.jpeg

Ducky paradise! I took away most of the cardboard and just barricaded off certain areas (the wall so they can’t ruin it cuz we’re rented :lau, dad’s work stuff, and of course the pool is closed off). They still have their spot where the brooder ring used to be lined with puppy pads for their business, and drop cloths down on the rest of their area. It’s sort of grippy but I ended up putting down shelf liner to make a path for Tony. Also added a little tent!!

FD614D02-DBEF-46D2-9932-5D3A744BCDA8.jpeg
18D2C93E-E9DF-4212-9C39-8723045F7DE3.jpeg

And they LOVE it!! Best $1.50 I ever spent. They immediately crawled in there and now every time I come downstairs they’re in their little tent. So cute!!

Now on to Tony’s little foot. I consulted the local bird expert in my area but sadly she isn’t familiar with ducks (she specializes in song birds) but she did give me the number of a vet that does birds so at least I have that just in case. I’m not taking them unless I really have to though because besides it costing me my left kidney (which they can gladly have if they need it obviously but I’d prefer to save it for an emergency) it’s also a 45 minute drive there and back so I’m not causing that extra stress if I don’t absolutely have to.

However, he’s actually been doing a LOT better! I’ve realized the trick is to minimize his slipping. The second he can go a little while without slipping he walks so much better already. The grip pads (shelf liner) help hugely so I realized for 24/7 grip he will need shoes. The first prototype from a previous comment didn’t work out so well because the work glove was unraveling too fast. So instead I grabbed an old T-shirt of mine and went at it LOL.

A09E0736-D8E8-4A1A-BC59-A7A9BEE36303.jpeg
BF196B3C-205B-4764-AAF8-37C04E825091.jpeg
5473E7E6-4E52-4842-ACB2-C41C76D2C7DC.jpeg

This is the final product! It took me hooouuuurs of trial and error and stabbing myself in the finger a million times but it’s turned out pretty good! The shoe has a piece of grippy cloth sewn to the bottom as well as the inside, because I noticed the first time that while he gripped the floor well his foot started to slide to the side of the shoe.
There’s a Velcro closure on the side that opens to put it on, and two for around his leg, one above the knee joint and one below. Tried it on last night and it actually works!

It’s super light because of the T-shirt fabric so he isn’t bothered by it at all. Currently working on a second one so I can put shoes on both his feet, that way they at least stay even. After that it’s only a matter of making enough so he can wear them all the time and I can just switch them out and clean them.

Man duckies are a lot of work!:barnie

Totally worth it though :love

Just came and read the rest of this whole thread..
So sorry the little ones did not make it.
That shoe looks awesome, glad you care so much for these little guys. I just watched the cup chick thing.. pretty interesting for sure

Back
Top Bottom