Wanted to post a small update on little Crooked (Tony didn’t stick unfortunately LOL)!

I fashioned him a hobble out of soft elastic and Velcro and he’s been wearing it for the past 36 hours, and he seems to improve so much! I wish I had done it sooner :(

He stands a lot more now though and walking goes better and better. He’s getting heavy so he was laying down a lot and couldn’t even get his legs underneath him to get up. Now he can! Still considering having him seen by a vet but it’ll be a lot of money without much results I feel so I think I’ll make a post about him and see if others have dealt with his birth defect before.

Great thread and very interesting ! For a few years my kids and I would incubate every double yolk egg we could find but never had any luck . Most would never develop and those that did never developed vary far . Best of luck with your chick

Hello. I thought you might be interested to see the egg I have. It's a [probably, you can't candle these babies] double yolk emu egg that I'm currently incubating. I'm getting another in a few days.
Do you -or anyone else here- know where I could get a good supply of double yolk eggs that could be shipped to me? I'm doing an experiment -similar to yours- with the help of my college [I'm a biology student, studying to eventually be a doctor] and I'd like more subjects. Double emus are cool [the first reported identical bird twins were emus], but they're uncommon, expensive, and you can't candle them.
51814859_1487544481376062_8671963987702710272_n.png
Here is the suspected double next to the shell from a normal [but infertile, unfortunately] emu egg I incubated previously.

Hello. I thought you might be interested to see the egg I have. It's a [probably, you can't candle these babies] double yolk emu egg that I'm currently incubating. I'm getting another in a few days.
Do you -or anyone else here- know where I could get a good supply of double yolk eggs that could be shipped to me? I'm doing an experiment -similar to yours- with the help of my college [I'm a biology student, studying to eventually be a doctor] and I'd like more subjects. Double emus are cool [the first reported identical bird twins were emus], but they're uncommon, expensive, and you can't candle them.View attachment 1677133Here is the suspected double next to the shell from a normal [but infertile, unfortunately] emu egg I incubated previously.

I wanted to do emu and ostrich eggs so badly but they weren’t around where I live, this is so damn cool!!! Do you have a thread?? I’d LOVE to follow!

I got my eggs from a hatchery nearby because shipped eggs are not always in the best condition, and given how fragile doubles are I didn’t want to add another unstable component to my experiment, since shipping could damage and alter the results. Your best bet would be to find hatcheries in your area and ask if any of them get a lot of doubles, and would be willing to set some aside for you. That’s how I did it. I got lucky with a Muscovy hatchery near me and the owner was super nice and gladly helped me out.

Super excited to see how this one will turn out!

What day are you currently at?

EDIT: you should look into the egg window experiment if you’re gonna continue with emu eggs! You make an opening on the egg and cover it back up to create a window to see the development. Might be beneficial to what you’re doing!

Update for those that have been following my babies!

Unfortunately I had to put Crooked/Tony down two days ago :(

He kept getting worse as he grew and 3 days ago he seemed to be in pain. I took him to the vet the next day to see if there was anything I could do but she said I had done all I could for the little guy. He went peacefully during the sedation, so I think he agreed it was time...

Now I’m stuck with Miss Penny all by herself though so I’m figuring out what to do. If anyone knows of someone with a house duck that would like a second, please let me know. I don’t wanna get rid of her but if she gets lonely I’ll do what’s best for her. I’m in Ontario near the US border so I’d consider anyone in the states bordering Ontario too

Back
Top Bottom